well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    An Ohio Story

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

An Ohio Story
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
A “Killdeer” has laid three eggs on in the “tree lawn” across the street. My neighbor put up “snow poles” around the eggs to keep them from being run over by the big “riding lawn mower”. Smiler

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34916 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Hope the poles don't cause the birds to
stay away from the eggs.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Doesn’t seem to be a problem. The male (I’m told it’s the male) hangs around and tried to lead me away from the eggs when I approached.

Posts: 34916 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Group Hug

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9798 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
James Thurber was from Ohio and he wrote a fable about a killdeer. In fact, his writings may help acculturate you to Ohio, now that I think on it. Smiler

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21337 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Can you recommend a particular book?

Thanks!

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
I loved "Fables for Our Time" and "Further Fables for Our Time"

Also his autobiography of growing up in Columbus, Ohio. "My Life and Hard Times"

My favorite might be "The Years with Ross" about what it was like working at the New Yorker.

He is hilarious, no matter the subject.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21337 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
Killdeers nest in the most ridiculous places! They frequently nest on the edge of stone driveways, presumably to camouflage their eggs. The birds running from the nest are a dead giveaway to their location. From my experience, if they have nested in a place once they will be back year after year.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4091 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post