well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    I'm going under...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm going under...
 Login/Join

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted
...the knife. Monday morning. My knee has held out remarkably well considering the abuse it has suffered for the past 50-odd years, but it is finally given up, and I'm replacing it. I'm told the first two weeks are a black hole of misery, and I admit my body is getting a bit freaked out even though my mind is made up (panic attack while packing for the hospital today gave me back spasms and hyperventilation), but in all i am looking forward to a literal new lease on life this coming summer. Just the thought of being able to hike again makes me tear up.

Today I made a huge pot of stew for Mr. Pique to survive on, and found a fancy cryotherapy machine on craigslist at half price. Tomorrow i have to put the truck and trailer away for the winter, clean the house, and trim the horse's hooves one last time.

What am I forgetting to do before being laid up for 6 weeks?

--------------------------------
fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21283 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Hey, Pique', I'm sending all best wishes for your knee replacement! I don't know if you got in touch with my wife about how hers went. (I'll ask her later.) There's apparently a critical period just after surgery where you must get just the right physical therapy or you end up with problems.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13763 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Joe. Please tell her I appreciate her offer. There's an army of knee replacement veterans here, all patients of my surgeon, who is considered the best in the region. I do have an excellent PT lined up who agrees about early management being critical.

Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Hoping all goes well, and that healing is fast.

Posts: 13626 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I have indeed heard that the recovery from knee surgery is often hard, and you're right about the first few weeks. Then comes a long period of physical therapy to break scar tissue and regain motion. That's quite uncomfortable too. I have talked to several recent knee-recoverers. They all commented on the rigorous recovery period, but they all agreed that they were 1000% better, and quite happy for the change, despite the work.

All the best, and may you beat the odds and have simpler and quicker recovery period.

Posts: 12474 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I ran IT in a rehab hospital for a few months and we saw a lot of total knees. Some were tough and some not so much so. The fact that you are not overweight will help you a lot. Hope it goes well.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13509 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I had a total knee replacement in 2013.

It helped me a lot to focus on the path ahead; prior to surgery, I knew that I was in a declining mode of activity. After surgery, I kept firmly in mind that no matter whatever I was feeling in healing and rehab, I was on the path to full use and stability.

I did too much the first couple of days at home and suffered with swelling and discomfort...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7540 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nanna
posted Hide Post
I am 4 weeks out from a hip replacement and a friend had a knee replacement at the same time. I assume you have the requisite devices...walker, cane, grabber, etc. the toilet seat is the big one! Also, easy to put on loose warm clothes, shoes, and sleepware. Your knee will be swollen and not bend happily. Good luck!

Posts: 78 | Location: The Colonial Capital | Registered: 11 October 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
piqué, best wishes for all to go well! I’ll keep you in my thoughts on Monday!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18288 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Good luck with the surgery, pique. My neighbor's dad had both knees done (a few months apart) last year and is doing very well.

Nanna, hope your hip is feeling better. Mr wtg had his done last year and it's been soooo much better. He wished he hadn't waited so long!

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37651 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nanna
posted Hide Post
Thanks! My feelings exactly! Well-worth it!

Posts: 78 | Location: The Colonial Capital | Registered: 11 October 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:
I had a total knee replacement in 2013.

It helped me a lot to focus on the path ahead; prior to surgery, I knew that I was in a declining mode of activity. After surgery, I kept firmly in mind that no matter whatever I was feeling in healing and rehab, I was on the path to full use and stability.

I did too much the first couple of days at home and suffered with swelling and discomfort...

All good things to keep in mind. May I recruit you for pep talks from time to time? Everyone--including the surgeon--warns me that after the first week I'll be questioning why I did this and will be convinced the surgery was a failure.

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nanna:
I am 4 weeks out from a hip replacement and a friend had a knee replacement at the same time. I assume you have the requisite devices...walker, cane, grabber, etc. the toilet seat is the big one! Also, easy to put on loose warm clothes, shoes, and sleepware. Your knee will be swollen and not bend happily. Good luck!

What is the grabber? I have all the other items, donated by friends or left over from previous surgeries. And I just sprang for a super fancy cold therapy unit--never used--that also does periodic compression to prevent DVT. Found it on CL and negotiated a quarter of the price of new.

Good reminder to keep clothes warm, loose, accessible. Surgery proofing the house today. I do feel overwhelmed.

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Grabber is exactly what it sounds like, a tool to allow you to grab things.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=gra...f=pd_sl_9s3ovdmlwl_e

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18288 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Best wishes for your speedy recovery, pique.

Posts: 35360 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post