well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    I'm going under...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm going under...
 Login/Join

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone! The surgery was a great success. I have no pain. Virtually no swelling. The surgeon said after the nerve block he put in the knee wears off I will be in terrible pain, but that was supposed to happen this afternoon--and it didn't. He says sometimes it doesn't happen.He is very happy with the outcome, and now the rest is up to me. I am very motivated to make a full recovery and get back my mobility.

I have a straight knee after years of being knock kneed. The peripheral neuropathy-caused by my fibula rubbing into my peroneal nerve--that made it in impossible for me to walk --is apparently gone. I scored an $850 cold therapy compression machine that prevents deep vein thrombosis on Craigslist for $200--brand new, never used. And it has literally been a lifestaver.

I found a wonderful physical therapist who has been doing this for over thirty years and I begin work with her on Friday. I am feeling very optimistic that I will be able to return to activities I love but haven't been able to do for years. My initial goal is to be back in the saddle, riding into the backcountry, in 6 months. Between now and then I'm just going to take it a day at a time, as the surgeon says we won't really know how much function I'm going to have for three months.

But today, my first in-hospital physical therapy day, I was told I'm in the top ten percent for walking and in the top 1 percent for range of motion. I have full 0 degrees extension an 115 degrees flexion. The doc says this will get worse before it gets better. Sounds like it will be a bit of a roller coaster ride but I think I'm mentally prepared.

--------------------------------
fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21283 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Smiler
Great it is going well.
Big Grin
Glad to know that you are doing well. One reason
I am glad is because my turn is coming.
Will be following your progress and cheering you on.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25656 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Wow - that’s fantastic! Think of how great your first series of hikes are going to be!

Meanwhile, if you happen to hit a rough patch, feel free to swear like a sailor every time you get in or out of a chair.

It seems to help. ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34795 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Wow, with progress so far, sounds great, fingers continue to be crossed!

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13763 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the support, everyone. I'd heard nothing but raves about this surgeon and hodpital, and now I know why.

A major reason we want to retire to Missoula is the medical care here.

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Just like piano practice, approaching your PT with intention makes a difference. You will most likely have muscles that are angry after being messed around with, as well as some muscles that you just can't seem to activate - at first.

PT for me always had a feeling of "no success" from the therapist. What I mean is that I would practice at home and improve on something specific, but at the next session instead of celebrating, the therapist would notice the improvement and present me with the next challenge. Rinse and repeat... Like music, there is always more work that can be attempted.

Now get to work!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7540 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Awesome Pique, I'm glad it went well.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
piqué I am SO glad to hear this!!!

Flower

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18288 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Great news, pique. I'm glad you're aware and prepared for a possible roller-coaster recovery period. When I've dealt with things like this, I always find it helpful to think that every day is one less day of healing, one more day toward recovery.

Keep us posted as you progress! Smiler

Posts: 35360 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Well, I had a pain crisis early this morning and had to have IV morphine. Went for a short walk in the hall with the nurse and the doctor's surgery injection finally wore off. Pain level 500. Tears and near hysteria. Doc came to see me and said it is going to be like this for a couple of weeks and now I can't go home until I get stabilized in oral meds. Taking diaudid, robaxin for muscle spasms, tylenol, Celebrex, gabapentin, and a few other things. Pain is now strong but bearable. I am still excelling at PT and to my surprise c it helps with the pain. Back on oxygen as the morphine slows my breathing. Hoping to go home tomorrow...

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Great news on the surgery. Sorry to hear about the burst of pain. It sounds like you will have good days and bad days for a little while.

Hang in there. It's all worth it.

*hugs*

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30027 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Uhg, sorry to hear about the pain crisis. Frowner hope it decreases soon.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20398 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Sorry about the pain spike. Don't try to be "strong" about it. It actually makes things worse. Instead, try to stay on top of it, even if it means you're taking a lot of meds initially. It will get better and you can taper off then.

Posts: 35360 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
OUCH!!!
Sorry that happened.
Hope you don’t get hit with that level of pain again.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25656 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
I've had 3 pain spikes in the three days I've been here in the hospital, and it is because they didnt listen to me when I told them that 4 hours was too long in between pain meds. They have a computer releasing the pain pills because they have to account for every opiod pill to the DEA, so the nurse literally is incapable of releasing the medicine to me when I need it. The stress of being allowed to be in that much pain is horrific, to say the least.

I am furious