well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Putting in a good word for arachnids

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Putting in a good word for arachnids
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
I sometimes relocate them to the outside; mostly I just leave them alone. Except....

The realtor insisted I get rid of all the numerous long-legged spiders in the garage of our vacation home before it went up for sale. I felt like an ax murderer.

quote:
I know it may be hard to convince you, but let me try: Don’t kill the next spider you see in your home.

Why? Because spiders are an important part of nature and our indoor ecosystem – as well as being fellow organisms in their own right.

People like to think of their dwellings as safely insulated from the outside world, but many types of spiders can be found inside. Some are accidentally trapped, while others are short-term visitors. Some species even enjoy the great indoors, where they happily live out their lives and make more spiders. These arachnids are usually secretive, and almost all you meet are neither aggressive nor dangerous. And they may be providing services like eating pests – some even eat other spiders.

https://getpocket.com/explore/...source=pocket-newtab

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37883 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I never kill spiders intentionally. I sometimes relocate the big ones that are in a place Id rather they not be. (Like the bedroom). I usually let the little ones hang out. We don’t have many in this house (no basement).

--------------------------------
Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20452 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post