well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Social distancing guidelines extended through April 30th

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Social distancing guidelines extended through April 30th
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
Looks like Fauci and the task force got him to understand; Fauci has been describing Trump's thought about re-opening by Easter as "aspirational"

quote:
President Donald Trump on Sunday extended the national social distancing guidelines to April 30 after suggesting that the coronavirus death rate would likely peak in two weeks.

“Nothing would be worse than declaring victory before the victory has been won,” Trump said at an evening press briefing. “Therefore we will be extending our guidelines to April 30.”

The president has previously said he wants to reopen the country for business by Easter, on April 12, despite warnings from public health experts that loosening restrictions would result in unnecessary death and economic damage.

However, Trump claimed on Sunday that Easter was just an “aspiration” and that he hopes the the country will “be well on our way to recovery” by June 1.

While he can issue federal guidelines, the president doesn’t have the power to decide if the country can reopen, as it’s the decision of each state.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/2...hrough-april-30.html

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Maybe this will help our idiot governor find the courage to put a shelter-in-place order in for our state. I've signed petitions, emailed his office, contacted all of my representatives at every level. And some of them even called me back! The "little guys" (state and local reps) have been lobbying the gov for it, but so far, it hasn't happened.

We shall see.

If they don't get this right, I'm afraid we'll be teaching online for all of AY2020-2021. (which IIRC P*D was predicting and other faculty here have mentioned).

Have I mentioned that I hate teaching online? I actually think I'm pretty good at it, but it is not how I want to teach.
/rant

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:

If they don't get this write, I'm afraid we'll be teaching online for all of AY2020-2021. (which IIRC P*D was predicting and other faculty here have mentioned).

Among others.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe this will help our idiot governor find the courage to put a shelter-in-place order in for our state. I've signed petitions, emailed his office, contacted all of my representatives at every level. And some of them even called me back! The "little guys" (state and local reps) have been lobbying the gov for it, but so far, it hasn't happened.

We shall see.

If they don't get this right, I'm afraid we'll be teaching online for all of AY2020-2021. (which IIRC P*D was predicting and other faculty here have mentioned).

Have I mentioned that I hate teaching online? I actually think I'm pretty good at it, but it is not how I want to teach.
/rant
What state is this? If you’re able to say.

No stay at home order here. Non essential businesses closed.

On my daily stroll, I saw the weirdest thing. The plant nursery is open. So planting gardens is essential?

It was a zoo in there, with employees directing traffic.

Meanwhile, a hardware store in the area has toilet paper. Four single rolls per customer. And a CVS is limiting it to one roll per customer. Not one package— one roll!

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Cindy I am in a red state in the south. Medical services are so-so at best, not a lot of beds from what I’ve read. So although the number of confirmed cases is relatively low (less than 1000 right now) I don’t think this state can handle much surge. And people don’t seem to be taking social distance recommendations seriously. Hence my concern. (Well, all that and more!)

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
For some reason I thought you were in Wisconsin.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
quote:

We shall see.

/rant
What state is this? If you’re able to say.

No stay at home order here. Non essential businesses closed.

On my daily stroll, I saw the weirdest thing. The plant nursery is open. So planting gardens is essential?

It was a zoo in there, with employees directing traffic.

Meanwhile, a hardware store in the area has toilet paper. Four single rolls per customer. And a CVS is limiting it to one roll per customer. Not one package— one roll!

ROTFLMAO

Posts: 24714 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
For some reason I thought you were in Wisconsin.

I was, before 2015.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
There were the dire predictions from his health team. There were the late-night pleas from his staunchest allies. There was the line ticking upward, never seeming to curve, let alone flatten.
But as President Donald Trump was weighing last week whether to quickly return the country to normal after 15 days of virtual shutdown, it was the images from his own borough in New York City that seemed to drive home the still-worsening severity of the coronavirus pandemic.
Elmhurst Hospital in Queens has become an apocalyptic illustration of a nation in crisis, its doctors and nurses struggling to keep up with a surge of infections. A refrigerated truck, acting as a makeshift mortuary, idles outside.

Images from the besieged hospital, only seven miles from where Trump was raised in Jamaica Estates, had a sobering effect on the President this week as he was mulling options for returning Americans to work, people familiar with the matter said.

Even as members of Trump's task force offered models showing potentially millions of Americans becoming infected if the country was allowed to return to normal, it was the sight of Elmhurst -- with triage tents erected outside and deaths mounting inside -- that seemed to penetrate, according to officials who discussed the matter with him.
"This is in my community in Queens, New York. I have seen things that I've never seen before," Trump said Sunday. "I mean I've seen them, but I've seen them on television and faraway lands, never in my country."

And so, after a week of publicly declaring that life in America must soon return to normal, Trump abruptly reversed course Sunday. The President announced during a news conference in the Rose Garden -- the same venue where, five days earlier, he set Easter as a target date for reopening -- that nationwide social distancing guidelines he enacted would extend another 30 days.

"The better you do, the faster this whole nightmare will end," the President said, adding that he would be finalizing a new plan and strategy early this week, and announcing the details on Tuesday.

The retreat was the result, multiple advisers and officials said, of overly ambitious goals and competing viewpoints colliding with the stark reality that coronavirus is nowhere near contained in the United States -- as evidenced by the pandemonium underway in Trump's hometown.

Larry Kudlow lost.

Anthony Fauci and the nurse who took the video in the hospital won.

Yay, medicos!

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/30...uidelines/index.html

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post