well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    FBI executed search warrant on Mar-a-Lago
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FBI executed search warrant on Mar-a-Lago
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
Seems like coincidence. Trump isn’t running in 2022.

It doesn't sound as if the Wall Street Journal thought it was a coincidence.

quote:
That the Mar-a-Lago raid occurred only about 90 days from a national election also increases the political suspicion.

Posts: 45742 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
Keep in mind she’s in possession of the warrant so she knows what the FBI was looking for and why. So the attempt to cast aspersions on the evidence is not a good sign for team Trump. She’s pretending to speak hypothetically, but she almost certainly knows what they found.

Also their messaging pretty much guarantees this isn’t merely about classified docs. After all, they have a defense for that - the president is the ultimate authority on classification and can declassify anything at will.

The “they planted evidence” messaging that they are rolling out means this is about very specific crimes.

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
They could have planted classified information.

I don't know the process for declassifying information. The fact that Trump could have declassified everything doesn't mean that he did.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Reported on Twitter by a reporter for the Washington Post and NBC News:

quote:
After Monday’s search, lawyers close to Trump sought advice & recs of criminal defense lawyers who could represent Trump, per a person familiar w the lawyers. The lawyers said the warrant was related to allegations that classified info was retained by Trump, per this person.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
“Related to” is doing a lot of work there. It would be totally disastrous if this were about the mere existence of classified docs at MaL. Like a Sandy Berger/David Patraeus case. The DOJ would get crucified and this would be a big Trump win.

But to me most of the signs point to specific info in the docs which relate to very specific crimes.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
That's not what anyone who claims to have knowledge of the subpoena has suggested, but people can believe what they want to believe.

Me, I believe taking top secret documents out of the White House is a crime and endangers our national security. And that alone would justify, at a minimum, saying enough is enough (Trump apparently was stonewalling and lying about what he had, quelle surprise), and going and getting them.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Department of Justice obtained security CCTV footage from inside Mar-a-Lago, the Palm Beach, Florida, mansion turned private club where former president Donald Trump maintains an office and residence, before requesting a search warrant for the ex-president’s home.

According to multiple reports, federal investigators issued a subpoena for the CCTV footage to the Trump Organization — the ex-president’s eponymous real estate and hotel business — earlier this year after a meeting between DoJ representatives and Mr Trump’s attorneys at his Florida home.

https://www.independent.co.uk/...go-doj-b2142344.html

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37907 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
If he wasn't before, he's definitely off the Christmas card list now...

quote:
Former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (R) on Tuesday called the FBI’s execution of a search warrant at former President Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida “fair game,” adding that he hopes more information about the cause of the search will be revealed soon.

quote:
“It’s fair game, and you just have to display probable cause to a federal judge that … there are contents in that safe that would assist in proving a violation of the law,” Christie said in an interview with Sirius XM’s Julie Mason.

“It’s not anything that’s out of bounds to go into a safe, and it happens frequently in federal law enforcement. But again, you have to have the factual underpinnings to be able to convince a federal judge that you need and have the right to do that.”

https://thehill.com/policy/nat...rump-home-fair-game/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37907 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
So while in office Trump signed some new provision into law that stiffened the penalties for mishandling classified information …

https://www.businessinsider.nl...me-back-to-bite-him/

https://twitter.com/yarbro/status/1557136280785403904

Posts: 12689 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Folks are reporting that the FBI removed about 10 boxes after their search. This implies to me that Trump didn't hand over all the documents in his posession as requested earlier. He provided about 15 boxes of stuff in February, so there were an additional 10 boxes or so of stuff the FBI felt warranted removal.

That seems pretty egregious to me. I am taking on faith the assertions by the attorneys here (and in other places I've read) that a search warrant isn't a fishing expedition, but has to be written very precisely to indicate exactly what you are searching for.

So I disagree with Jon on this. I think the mere existence of classified docs at M-a-L is criminal, given that he had previously provided requested data as of February. I suppose with a clever lawyer (and I have no indication that Trump has clever lawyers at this stage), he could argue that he didn't understand that the missing documents that were retrieved yesterday were what was requested in the search warrant. But I think that would be an easily refuted defense.

It also completely ignores two facts that I think are relevant: 1) he can't keep presidential documents; 2) according to what I've read, even if you let #1 slide, his security for the existing documents at M-a-L was abysmal.

Of course the true believers are getting all fired up (thank you Fox and other lowlifes), convinced that this is a witch hunt and a political coup.

I think this could get ugly.

Ax: Doesn't surprise me--he thinks laws don't pertain to him, even those that he signed directly.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Requests filed to unseal search warrant used to raid Trump estate

A U.S. magistrate ordered the Justice Department to respond by Monday to motions filed by the Times Union and Judicial Watch seeking unsealing of warrants used to raid Mar-A-Lago

https://www.timesunion.com/sta...used-to-17365143.php

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Alberto Gonzalez. Now there's a name from the past...

https://www.newschannel5.com/n...trump-search-warrant

Bazootiehead-in-training

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Judicial watch should just ask ******* 45.

Posts: 12533 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I wondered if there might have been an earlier subpoena...

So for all those who said "the there should have been a subpoena first", looks like that happened a few months ago/ And calls into question the "he was cooperating fully and all they had to do was ask".

quote:
The FBI search at Mar-a-Lago this week came months after federal investigators served an earlier grand jury subpoena and took away sensitive national security documents from former President Donald Trump's property during a June meeting, people familiar with the matter tell CNN.

Investigators executed Monday's search in part because they had developed evidence, including from at least one witness, that there were potentially classified documents still remaining at the Palm Beach, Florida, property months after the National Archives arranged for the retrieval of 15 boxes of documents that included classified information in January of this year, a person briefed on the matter said.

Authorities also believed the documents remaining at Mar-a-Lago had national security implications, CNN reported earlier this week.

The subpoena issued before the June meeting, during which investigators were shown where documents were held in a basement room at the Trump residence and private club, shows how the investigation has escalated and suggests the discussions had become confrontational long before Monday's search.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Garland personally signed off on the warrant.

DOJ is asking judge if the search warrant can be unsealed if TFG agrees. DOJ to notify the court by tomorrow at 3 what TFG decides.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politic...ak/story?id=88252143

popcorn

Bazootiehead-in-training