well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Virginia governor Northam (edit: and now Lt Gov Fairfax)
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Virginia governor Northam (edit: and now Lt Gov Fairfax)
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
He should resign. Along with...

The other mate should also be exposed.

--------------------------------
The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Well, color me totally confused.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/02...ook-photo/index.html

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37757 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
This latest "it wasn't me" is hard to believe. He was shown a photo of someone alleged to be him, in darkface or the KKK hood, apologized, and only later sat down to take a look at it and think, "hey, did I ever wear one of these costumes"?

""What has happened, I finally had a chance to sit down and look at the photo in detail. It is definitely not me," he said in response to questions"

Really? What is the guy so busy doing that he can't take a look at a photo that has the ability to crater his entire career? His denial: "I'm sorry, this wasn't the time I dressed in blackface, now that I think about it, there was a different time that I did..."

Puhleez. I was giving him the benefit of the doubt but he's losing me.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:

I'm not justifying that kind of behavior. I'm just getting sick of the instant political death sentences we pass on people.

That's my concern.

Outrage politics.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I'm also wondering, in a post-Trump world, what happens if he doesn't.

A Senator who doesn't resign can be ostracized, can be made powerless. He can even be removed by his peers. The same cannot be said of a governor.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I don't think he should resign. I'm very tired of ruining otherwise distinguished careers based on something done 30 years or more ago. Should he have known better at 26 in med school? Yeah. Does it negate everything he has done since? No.

If you knew the life I led at that age none of you would have had anything to do with me. Does that accurately reflect who I am today? Not for a nanosecond.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13520 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Do tell ... Big Grin

I'm told that Jon would have given you a run for your money. Wink

Posts: 12497 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
In some ways yes. In others, no. Evil

It's kind of like comparing sports. We competed in different milieu.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
I don't think he should resign. I'm very tired of ruining otherwise distinguished careers based on something done 30 years or more ago. Should he have known better at 26 in med school? Yeah. Does it negate everything he has done since? No.

If you knew the life I led at that age none of you would have had anything to do with me. Does that accurately reflect who I am today? Not for a nanosecond.

I keep tripping over the fact that this is a man who needed to be able to provide conscientious service to people of all races. I am deeply troubled that this happened in medical school.

But I am sympathetic to your view as well.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I think that, having spent a couple years working in more rural (non-DC) Virginia, I understand that he could easily do so. It is strange. The racism/segregation in the south is not as hate-oriented as it is imagined. I see it more as I would imagine the Indian caste system. It's just accepted as the way things are.

It doesn't make it right, but I can understand a young man thinking nothing of it.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
I think that, having spent a couple years working in more rural (non-DC) Virginia, I understand that he could easily do so. It is strange. The racism/segregation in the south is not as hate-oriented as it is imagined. I see it more as I would imagine the Indian caste system. It's just accepted as the way things are.

It doesn't make it right, but I can understand a young man thinking nothing of it.

In the 80s?

I was in DC during that same year. Not more than a hundred or so miles away. I can't even imagine it.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I'm telling you, it was a different universe, even in the 90's.

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
It goes like this.

If the person doing the bad thing is Donald Trump, no consequences.

If the person doing the bad thing is anyone else, death sentence.

Simple.

Posts: 19756 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I was in college at Arizona State University in 1980. For Halloween, some student donned a Klan costume and came to the dining hall.

The last I saw of him, he was being chased out by some of the black male athletes.

I think even back then people knew you couldn't don a Klan outfit and expect to go about your day.

Blackface is trickier. I think younger generations honestly don't understand the history well enough to know that Blackface is not the same thing as painting your face the same color as your favorite sports teams jerseys.

I can forgive more with blackface than the Klan outfit.

Had Meaghan Kelly not had other problematic statements in the past concerning race, I could have accepted her apology.

Posts: 19756 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
I just double checked the date for perspective. Ted Danson got in trouble in 1993 for thinking being in blackface could still be a funny joke.

Obviously stupid, but I’m with Cindy about being more willing to accept that the black face could more ignorance than hateful, compared with a klan costume.

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post