well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Virginia governor Northam (edit: and now Lt Gov Fairfax)
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Virginia governor Northam (edit: and now Lt Gov Fairfax)
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
A photo from Gov. Ralph Northam’s medical school yearbook shows him and another person in racist costumes — one wearing blackface and one a Ku Klux Klan robe and hood, though it was not clear which person was the future governor.

Hours after the 35-year-old photo came to light Friday, Northam apologized for his decision to appear in it. Elected officials and activist groups from across the political spectrum called for him to resign.

But in a video posted to Twitter Friday evening, Northam said he had spent the past year “fighting for a Virginia that works better for all people” and he would continue to do so throughout the rest of his term, which ends in January 2022.

“I accept responsibility for my past actions, and I am ready to do the hard work of regaining your trust,” he said.

Friday night, calls for resignation came from some within his own party, including former Gov. Terry McAuliffe, under whom Northam served as lieutenant governor.

The photo, which The Virginian-Pilot obtained a copy of Friday from the Eastern Virginia Medical School library, comes from the 1984 yearbook, the year Northam graduated and turned 25.

On the half-page set aside for Northam, there is a headshot of him in a jacket and tie, a photo of him in a cowboy hat and boots and a third of him sitting casually on the ground, leaning against a convertible.

The fourth photo on the half-page has two people, one wearing white Ku Klux Klan robes and a hood, the other with his face painted black. The person with the black face is also wearing a white hat, black jacket, white shirt with a bow tie and plaid pants. Both are holding canned drinks.

In a statement Friday evening, Northam, a Democrat, confirmed he appears in the photo “in a costume that is clearly racist and offensive,” but did not specify which person is him.

“I am deeply sorry for the decision I made to appear as I did in this photo and for the hurt that decision caused then and now,” Northam said. “This behavior is not in keeping with who I am today and the values I have fought for throughout my career in the military, in medicine and in public service. But I want to be clear, I understand how this decision shakes Virginians’ faith in that commitment. I recognize that it will take time and serious effort to heal the damage this conduct has caused. I am ready to do that important work. The first step is to offer my sincerest apology and to state my absolute commitment to living up to the expectations Virginians set for me when they elected me to be their governor.”

https://pilotonline.com/news/g...d1-c7ed70e09b50.html

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37732 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I don't know what to think. Even 30 years ago, that crap was unacceptable. I can't imagine dressing like that, let alone having it as a yearbook picture.

Posts: 45722 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
What is his record on matters of race since?

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25667 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
In my opinion, the real issue here is the assumption that such a costume would be "funny." At the risk of sounding overly woke, that's the cultural change we need to see.

I've been to plenty of costume parties where the goal in some people's eyes was to be as offensive as possible. It's not anything I would do, but obviously it's what many people do. But at some point, a tasteless costume crosses the line and becomes unacceptable. Blackface and KKK costumes need to go into this category. But we're not there yet (and may not be for decades in certain areas of the country, like Virginia).

CHAS asks a good question.

Posts: 35362 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
A klan costume in 1984? Forget Northam for a second, Where was the editor?

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Do we know that Northam is in the disguises? Do we know if Northam asked for that picture to be posted next to his? Do we ...

Yes, that behavior in 1984 would have been thoughtless, crude, boorish, and obnoxious. Has he done stuff over the last 30 years to indicate that he is a truly a closet racist?

Posts: 12494 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
In the late 70s, when I was maybe 11, my buddy and I were going to dress up as klansmen for Halloween. My mom said NFW. I tried to tell her it was just a costume. She wasn’t convinced.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
Do we know that Northam is in the disguises? Do we know if Northam asked for that picture to be posted next to his? Do we ...

Yes, that behavior in 1984 would have been thoughtless, crude, boorish, and obnoxious. Has he done stuff over the last 30 years to indicate that he is a truly a closet racist?

To the first part, yes he has admitted to being in the photo. He didn't identify which one he is but somehow I doubt it matters.

https://pilotonline.com/news/g...d1-c7ed70e09b50.html

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37732 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
No, he has actually not admitted to being in the photo. Nor is there any evidence (yet) that it was taken (of him) while he was in medical school.

I'm not justifying that kind of behavior. I'm just getting sick of the instant political death sentences we pass on people.

BTW, for the whataboutists, this isn't a well-supported (but denied) accusation of attempted rape, and we have thirty years of the rest of his life (including his political life) to judge him by.

Posts: 12494 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Here's his statement:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/01...cial-read/index.html

I am equally concerned about the instant political death sentences.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
He is not admitting to being in the blackface photo, just to being in the yearbook spread. That may be a distinction without a difference.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Earlier today, a website published a photograph of me from my 1984 medical school yearbook
in a costume that is clearly racist and offensive.

I am deeply sorry for the decision I made to appear as I did in this photo and for the hurt that
decision caused then and now.

To me, he is clearly stating that there is a photograph in his medical school yearbook (I'll give you that it didn't have to be taken while he was in medical school), that he is in it, and that he is dressed in a costume.

I am totally baffled as to how you and I can be reading the same statement and coming to different conclusions.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
A klan costume in 1984? Forget Northam for a second, Where was the editor?

I wondered that as well.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34822 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by well-tempered gardener:
quote:
Earlier today, a website published a photograph of me from my 1984 medical school yearbook
in a costume that is clearly racist and offensive.

I am deeply sorry for the decision I made to appear as I did in this photo and for the hurt that
decision caused then and now.

To me, he is clearly stating that there is a photograph in his medical school yearbook (I'll give you that it didn't have to be taken while he was in medical school), that he is in it, and that he is dressed in a costume.

I am totally baffled as to how you and I can be reading the same statement and coming to different conclusions.

Because the banner right above the article was proclaiming "Northam will speak later today ... says it might not be him in the photo."

Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
The photo is on HIS page.

I a, sure the editor could be found.

I though his explanation was going to be something along the line of, see, we can get along now. Groan

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post