Find
Notify
Tools

Hip
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
Mrs. Miller got her new hip this morning. Thank God it’s over - I’ve never been so worried in my life. It all went well and signs are that she’ll have no trouble.

Hospital (Hoag Orthopedic, Irvine) is amazing and the surgeon is the son of the surgeon who put my leg back together in 1990.

She comes home tomorrow and the recovery begins.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34813 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
So glad things went well. Hope her recovery is as quick and painless as possible!

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20401 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Phew! My best for a quick recovery...

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Glad it went well! Very best wishes.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13772 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Glad the surgery went well.
Hope the recovery is quick.
I know people with both hip and knee
replacements that continue to ski.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25667 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear this news Steve! I can imagine how worried you were!

Wishing Mrs. Miller a quick recovery!!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18302 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
So hard to take the plunge into the surgical unknown. So glad it seems to be working well so far.

Posts: 12486 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I've had both hips (and a knee) replaced - it should be a life-changer for her if her rehab goes well!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7541 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
As long as she doesn't smoke she should heal nicely. One of my friends was up and walking perfectly normally less than a week after.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13518 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear she went ahead and had it done. Mr WTG keeps saying he wishes he hadn't waited so long. Can't wait to have the other one done, but has some other issues pending that will delay that.

Did she have the anterior procedure?

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37701 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Happy to hear that it went OK!

Posts: 45722 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Great that it's over. Sounds like she had a really cutting edge surgeon ( Big Grin)

Chatted with my sixtiesh neighbor as we crossed paths on the way to get the mail. She's only three weeks out from her long-dreaded hip replacement - not even a walking aid. She was very perky, just complaining about activity restrictions.

The longer we can stand to wait, the more sophisticated the techniques get. Brother already had THREE hip replacements a decade ago (no, only two legs) and one was some ceramic material that proved to shred into the bloodstream - hence the redo.

He won't tell me how much he was paid as his share of the class-action suit, but better to have had it done with today's expertise!

Congratulations to you both for getting through it!

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:

Yes. It's supposed to result in faster healing.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34813 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Happy to hear all went well!

Posts: 13630 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:

Yes. It's supposed to result in faster healing.

From what I understand, the regular procedure means six muscles are cut, thereby increasing the risk of dislocation. More pain, too, and a much longer recuperation time.

With the anterior, only the joint capsule is disturbed; otherwise the muscles are pulled off to the side to allow access to the joint. Dislocations are very uncommon.

Mr wtg was able to go up and down a full flight of stairs less than 24 hours after surgery. He needed no strong painkillers. He took Celebrex for three weeks, but that was to reduce the chance of bony overgrowths as the joint heals. But of course it helped because it's an anti-inflammatory. Otherwise, it was just Tylenol. He had a scrip for stronger stuff but never even considered filling it.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37701 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post