well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Lets talk printers again
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lets talk printers again
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug:
I got tired of dealing with printers and replacement cartridges etc. I decided to try doing without entirely.

If I absolutely have to print something, I wander over to the UPS which is nearby, and print it for nine cents a page in black-and-white. I thought I would have to do this more often, but usually it turns out I can print to a PDF file, sign it electronically on my iPad if I need to, and email or online fax it to wherever it needs to go. I basically don’t store documents in paper anymore.

I have since seen a couple of analyses that suggested that your actual cost per page for printing out a home printer is noticeably higher then these services like UPS.I feel like that’s true, but that’s not why I do it. It’s just so much nicer not dealing with the stupid printer myself.

The process at the UPS store is very easy also. I walk in, email the document to them from my phone, stick my credit card in and print. Very rare occasion where I spend a whole dollar....

This worked for me until OfficeMax closed (....along with Barnes and Noble, and Sears).

Posts: 24637 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
quote:
Originally posted by Doug:
I got tired of dealing with printers and replacement cartridges etc. I decided to try doing without entirely.

If I absolutely have to print something, I wander over to the UPS which is nearby, and print it for nine cents a page in black-and-white. I thought I would have to do this more often, but usually it turns out I can print to a PDF file, sign it electronically on my iPad if I need to, and email or online fax it to wherever it needs to go. I basically don’t store documents in paper anymore.

I have since seen a couple of analyses that suggested that your actual cost per page for printing out a home printer is noticeably higher then these services like UPS.I feel like that’s true, but that’s not why I do it. It’s just so much nicer not dealing with the stupid printer myself.

The process at the UPS store is very easy also. I walk in, email the document to them from my phone, stick my credit card in and print. Very rare occasion where I spend a whole dollar....

This worked for me until OfficeMax closed (....along with Barnes and Noble, and Sears).

It's a good idea if your store is convenient. I hate driving in general. Also, since the advent of good multi-function home printers, stores that provide printing services are going away. One near me died this past year, and one of the two local Staples stores is going out of business as well.

--------------------------------
“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13776 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
Steve, it's good to know you've found a good alternative to the factory cartridges. Let us know which ones they are.

My (black and white) printer uses toner, my wife's inkjet uses cartridges.

I've been using genuine Canon toner after ruining my previous large format printer with aftermarket ink cartridges. I need to see if the same company who makes the cartridges my wife uses also sells toner.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34827 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
Let us know what you find out.

We are working with an Epson, which has the virtue of functioning very well and seamlessly (we rarely have connection issues, which were endemic with HP), but has the downside of seeming to use more ink than is necessary.

Does your Epson take ink type 126 by chance? I have six unopened Epson brand ink cartridges I'll mail to you if so.

We got the new Epson with the large ink wells and bottles. Surprisingly easy to load, i thought it would be messy and it's not. Supposedly the ink will last many many times more than does a cartridge. Too early to report on otherwise, but so far so good.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
jon, what's the model number of your new printer?

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37749 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
Someday - I have a 10 year old laser printer that I tried to give away - but still have a couple of cartridges for it. The printer may outlast me.

Posts: 9596 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
Let us know what you find out.

We are working with an Epson, which has the virtue of functioning very well and seamlessly (we rarely have connection issues, which were endemic with HP), but has the downside of seeming to use more ink than is necessary.

Does your Epson take ink type 126 by chance? I have six unopened Epson brand ink cartridges I'll mail to you if so.

We got the new Epson with the large ink wells and bottles. Surprisingly easy to load, i thought it would be messy and it's not. Supposedly the ink will last many many times more than does a cartridge. Too early to report on otherwise, but so far so good.

Unfortunately, our cartridge is the 252. Thank you for the offer, though.

Posts: 45723 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Anyone else have an Epson?

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
I am at the point that if my printer runs out of ink, I will just take my thumb drive and print it at Staples...

Way cheaper..Having gone nearly paperless, I print so little. As time goes on having a printer at home makes little sense... Shrug

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I could see getting to that point, but not with a kid in the house.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I wonder if someday you'll have Amazon print your stuff and bring it to your door the same day.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34827 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post