well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Question about webinar platforms

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about webinar platforms
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted
Does anyone here have any knowledge or experience with webinar platforms?

I'm scheduled to present at a smallish (relatively speaking) academic conference in May, and accidentally committed myself to trying to help strategize options for moving it to a virtual/online format. suave
(I'm a little more tech savvy than the main organizer, but have no experience with this sort of thing.)

I know that Zoom or WebEx can be used, but I'm only familiar with using them for a one-off meeting, or one meeting say repeating weekly etc.

The format of this conference is maybe 4 concurrent sessions, times 5 sessions/day times two days.

Let's say you wanted to have "rooms" for each sessions, audience could enter or leave rooms at will. Audience's video and audio would be muted, they would watch/listen to the presenter, and then could use a "raise hand" function during the Q&A, at which point they would either type in their question, or else the audio would be temporarily unmuted, maybe by the host/moderator.

So, links for each session room would have to be made in advance... And maybe people would have to pre-register (and pay) and then have their email entered, that would be what would allow them to join?

What other features/necessary functions am I missing?

Zoom probably can do this, and WebEx probably can do this... But it sounds like a logistical nightmare.

Or not, maybe the moderator (host of a given room) would be determined in advance, and that person would stay online, unmuting each presenter when their turn arose...

Anyway, does anyone here have specific knowledge with this sort of thing? I'm asking around, but most people I know seem to have the same experience I do (if that), which isn't quite enough for a full conference....

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18514 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
In the summer our school district did a virtual conference using Zoom. We only had one session at a time and it went flawlessly, however, we had a person whose only job was to host and monitor the room. I think this is key to making these kids of sessions run smoothly.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4092 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Thanks for this comment Dol!

I think I will discuss creative scheduling with the organizer. If we only had two concurrent sessions, that would make logistics a lot easier... Maybe some people will decline to present in an online platform, making that scheduling easier....

I'll post back if I have any updates!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18514 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post