well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Getting Control of the Sugar Habit
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting Control of the Sugar Habit
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Sugar is evil. Is that why I love it?
I stay away from it for weeks.
The I binge for a few days before my pants tell me that enough is enough.

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I don’t crave it and don’t eat much of it, until I have some, like on vacation. Since I got home from NOLA I’ve been an absolute trash can, craving sugar and carbs. I blame the beignets.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Paywalled, and the NYT isn’t even close to be worth paying for.

That said, avoiding sugar has become something of crusade with me. I’ve stopped buying any number of Trader Joe’s products because they add sugar. An email to Trader Joe’s generated a polite reply stating that if it weren’t for the sugar the products would have no flavor at all.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34918 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:

That said, avoiding sugar has become something of crusade with me. I’ve stopped buying any number of Trader Joe’s products because they add sugar. An email to Trader Joe’s generated a polite reply stating that if it weren’t for the sugar the products would have no flavor at all.

I've explained at least a dozen times how to get past the paywall. Since you're repeating your feelings about the value of the NYT, please consider the lesson repeated as well.

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I have no problem staying away from sugar, but if you have a bag of chips around, better hide it from me.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
quote:

I've explained at least a dozen times how to get past the paywall. Since you're repeating your feelings about the value of the NYT, please consider the lesson repeated as well.

I’ve tried the various ways and they don’ work. I suspect they track IP addresses.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34918 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Didn't read...
Maple syrup
Honey

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LL:
Didn't read...
Maple syrup
Honey

Which are both sugar. Doesn’t matter that they come from bees and trees, and are less processed. The sugars are all broken all down to fructose and glucose, for use in the body, and it’s all considered “added sugar” in your diet. The primary sugar in maple syrup is the disaccharide sucrose (same sugar that is refined from sugar cane or beets) one molecule of disaccharide sucrose is comprised of the one molecule each of the monosaccharides glucose and fructose.

5 grams of added sugar in one teaspoon honey vs 4 grams gums of added sugar in 1 teaspoon of white sugar. (Though honey tastes sweeter, so you can add a bit less for the same amount of sweetness, which would makes them about equal in added sugar calories added to a cup of tea)

And you should read the article. It’s quite good.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20447 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
quote:

I’ve tried the various ways and they don’ work. I suspect they track IP addresses.

They do not.

Use a separate browser. I use Vivaldi for the NYT.

Read a story. CLEAR EVERYTHING. History, cache, cookies, everything.

Read the next story.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
You get a certain number if views for free every month.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20447 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
The NYT number of free views has gone down, I think. It might actually be down to one.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I'm not sitting here reading this and eating a chocolate covered salt caramel Leaving

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18433 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
quote:
Originally posted by LL:
Didn't read...
Maple syrup
Honey

Which are both sugar. Doesn’t matter that they come from bees and trees, and are less processed. The sugars are all broken all down to fructose and glucose, for use in the body, and it’s all considered “added sugar” in your diet. The primary sugar in maple syrup is the disaccharide sucrose (same sugar that is refined from sugar cane or beets) one molecule of disaccharide sucrose is comprised of the one molecule each of the monosaccharides glucose and fructose.

5 grams of added sugar in one teaspoon honey vs 4 grams gums of added sugar in 1 teaspoon of white sugar. (Though honey tastes sweeter, so you can add a bit less for the same amount of sweetness, which would makes them about equal in added sugar calories added to a cup of tea)

And you should read the article. It’s quite good.

True, I was thinking in compared to white sugar!

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
I'm not sitting here reading this and eating a chocolate covered salt caramel Leaving

Big Grin

I am not eating the chocolate we got at the vendors two nights ago. Sorta not.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post