well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Problem printing from iPhone to airprint-compatible printer

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Problem printing from iPhone to airprint-compatible printer
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted
So this is actually a question from my mother (no, for real), and I have googled around a lot and can't find anything specifically like this.

She has an HP Envy printer, an iPad pro and an iPhone (6s+ maybe) with the latest iOS. She can print from the iPad or from her laptop to the printer with no problems.

When she uses her iPhone, the printer shows up on the phone (and it shows the ink levels etc. which suggests the phone is truly "seeing" the printer). But when she hits print, the item doesn't print out, and the iPhone doesn't realize that it hasn't printed out. She's tried with things she's successfully printed out before (a photo, a page from the memo app, and an email IIRC).

Again, she can print from her iPad, just not from the phone, although she has printed from the phone in the past, this is a new problem

I am trying to help her remotely (which is a little bit challenging...) I'm going to have her do a hard shut down on the phone, and I guess I'll also recommend the unplug-steps for the printer (if I can remember the order, maybe I need to google it, but I think it's turn off >> unplug>> wait some random amount of time >> plug in >> turn on...

Other than that, does anyone have any other ideas?

TIA

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18302 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
We have an Envy printer here. When I've had problems with the Chromebook or Apple device not printing, it is often resolved by turning the printer off and on. Once I had to restart the router....

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7541 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rob, I’ll have her try that and hopefully that will do it. I’m wondering if this started after she upgraded to the latest iOS. ...

Posts: 18302 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Just happened this morning with my chromebook - It even told it was printed successfully, but the printer just sat there. When I turned off the printer it did spit out a blank page, so it seemed like it might have been thinking about it... After turning back on, I tried printing again, and it worked the first time.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7541 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I meant to post about this yesterday! But yes, the “hard reset” of the printer did the trick for my mom too!

Is that what it’s called, a hard reset?

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I would think a hard reset would return it to factory settings and make you reconnect the wifi and everything...

Power off and on is usually my first suggestion with any computerish thing on the fritz!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com