well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Might want to think twice about dining out

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Might want to think twice about dining out
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Patients with symptomatic COVID-19 were more likely than uninfected controls to report some form of restaurant dining -- including indoor, patio and outdoor seating -- in the 2 weeks prior to symptom onset, CDC researchers found.

Compared to controls without COVID-19, case patients were more than twice as likely to have reported dining at a restaurant (adjusted OR 2.4, 95% CI 1.5-3.8), reported Kiva Fisher, PhD, of the CDC, and colleagues.

When the analysis was restricted to case patients with close contact to anyone with confirmed COVID-19, case patients were still more likely to report having visited a bar/coffee shop (aOR 3.9, 95% CI 1.5-10.1) or restaurant (aOR 2.8, 95% CI 1.9-4.3) than control patients, albeit with wider confidence intervals, Fisher's group wrote in the Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report.

Not surprisingly a substantially larger proportion of case patients reported close contact with a person with COVID-19 versus controls (42% vs 14%, respectively).

This data was previewed at the National Academy of Sciences and Medicine (NASEM) workshop on airborne transmission as part of the growing "circumstantial evidence" suggesting airborne transmission may play a role in COVID-19 spread.

"Reports of exposures in restaurants have been linked to air circulation," the authors wrote. "Direction, ventilation, and intensity of airflow might affect virus transmission, even if social distancing measures and mask use are implemented according to current guidance."

https://www.medpagetoday.com/i...isease/covid19/88543

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Correlation? Causation?

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9789 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
That is such a weak correlation. I wish physicians wouldn't rush stuff like this into the public eye. For starters, the "case" group -- the Covid positives whose eating out is the issue -- are less educated and less white than the "control" group of Covid negatives who ate out less often.

So, is it eating out that's the problem, or being hispanic and eating at Mexican restaurants where half the workers come to work Covid-Positive.

I ... am ... annoyed. And Anthony Fauci has blessed this "work?"

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I’ll bet they’ve also been to a supermarket.

Posts: 19757 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
It will be a long time, if ever, when I sit down in any dining establishment.

We are not even doing take-out/delivery.

Posts: 13630 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I'm with mark.

Remember this?

quote:
Abstract

During January 26–February 10, 2020, an outbreak of 2019 novel coronavirus disease in an air-conditioned restaurant in Guangzhou, China, involved 3 family clusters. The airflow direction was consistent with droplet transmission. To prevent the spread of the virus in restaurants, we recommend increasing the distance between tables and improving ventilation.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/7/20-0764-f1

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
We have been slowly introducing outdoor eating out to our pandemic life.

There is a big range of spacing available in the city right now. We pick "off times", the places with the largest gaps between tables, and try to get most upwind table.

I'm the one that does most of the shopping and gets carryout. Many places bring the carryout to a window or door to minimize the number of people coming inside the building.

Not going to see us inside a restaurant eating for a while!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7546 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post