well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    My better half. Update
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My better half. Update
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Mark, I'm so sorry you and Sarah have to deal with. A health scare is bad enough, but having to think about the financial parts of it on top of all that is just horrible. Frowner

I'll keep you and Sarah in my prayers!

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Thank you all so much for your support.

Sarah is home and resting. I will be pulling more weight around here and my youngest daughter is also stepping up and helping out with the things that Sarah usually does say to day.

Sarah is primary care giver for her mother who lives with us. Her mother suffers from dementia but can dress herself and go to the bathroom by herself, although sometimes it gets quite messy. She does need help in the shower and I am looking for some outside professional help to perform that duty.

We will be fine. It's just going to eat into the retirement fund a little. I am happy we have that.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Medicare may cover intermittent (short-term) home health care in some circumstances. It might be worth it for you to check it out in your "free time." Good luck.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I think the j's are spring chickens and not yet on Medicare....I think that's why their deductibles are an issue....edit: Oh, wait, you mean Sarah's mom....

BTW, if you can get plugged into the network of caregivers you can find reasonably priced in-home services that can help with care for Sarah's mom, either in the short term or long term. There are often people working independently rather than through an agency and they can be much cheaper and still top notch. My friend who moved to the boondocks in Sequim, Washington tried to find someone to help her by contacting the local caregiver placement agencies. Not a lot of luck.

Once she signed up on Nextdoor and found the circle of caregiver people, she was able to find more highly qualified people at a lower cost than the agency options...

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
How terribly scary.

Sending healing thoughts.

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear of this mark.

Posts: 1534 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Thoughts and prayers.

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Big John
posted Hide Post
I saw this on facebook but wasn't sure what was up.

So sorry and sorry to hear about the insurance crap. It is truly a disaster.

Once I hit 55 I started getting wierd sensations in my head and got scared anough to finally quit smoking for good -- will be two years in march.

Glad she's relatively okay.

Another day in Paradise.

Posts: 3902 | Registered: 14 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
The doctors diagnosed her as having a mini stroke. I am so glad we caught it before it became a major one.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
Regarding caregivers, I think the best resource is word of mouth. Let it be known in your personal networks you are looking.

We found a superb private caregiver for my father through a friend of his who knew of a young woman, a former teacher, looking for work. We settled on minimum wage because she worked mostly 24/7, getting paid for sleeping and also time and a half for hours over 40 each week.

My wife Martha also works as a caregiver, looking primarily for longer tern assignments caring for women. She cooks and cleans as well. She charges pretty much agency rates ($20-$25 an hour) but the level of care and, if relevant, companionship is way better. With agencies you are dealing with many different caregivers each week. She gets new assignments by word of mouth and very positive references from the family members of prior clients.

I have also worked with agencies as part of my estate planning work and am less than impressed. I also had at least one case where an agency caregiver took a credit card and used it to purchase Dunkin Donuts credits online, which could then be converted to cash.

jf

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17680 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Hope that is over.
My mother had minor strokes starting in her 50s.
She was bright and managed details well past the age of 85.
She managed well until her 93rd year, which is when we lost her.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25711 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
Picture of piqaboo
posted Hide Post
Wishing you both the best, and Sarah all the rest she needs in order to recover. Scary unpleasant stuff. Glad you got her in quickly.

OT's ball 'n chain

Posts: 2691 | Registered: 07 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
Picture of piqaboo
posted Hide Post
How are you guys doing?

OT's ball 'n chain

Posts: 2691 | Registered: 07 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Update?

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Not much to report. She is basically the same. Been to a few appointments for follow up and OT/PT and that's about all we can do at this time. She is still unbalanced and moving slower than normal.

Meds, Time and Physical Therapy is the treatment plan.