well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    How do you move a piano from one room to another?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do you move a piano from one room to another?
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted
I'm thinking of moving my music room (piano, harpsichord, etc.) to the south west end of the living room area and making my music room into a dining room.

How, or who do you get, to move a piano from one room to another? The feet will have to come off, it will have to be moved on it's side to fit through the doorways.

--------------------------------
http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10569 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
The trick is to do it without breaking off the piece that holds the the pedals (lyre?).

I'd get a piano mover.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34922 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Groupie
Picture of CTPianotech
posted Hide Post
Since the piano has to go on it's side, I'd really recommend an actual piano mover.

Perhaps your tuner would know someone?

Posts: 825 | Location: CT | Registered: 10 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I'd use a piano mover.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
I agree, and it won't cost as much as a move, since it is in the same house!

And I like the idea

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
Alright then. I didn't think piano movers would be interessted in moving it such a short distance.

Posts: 10569 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
I used to work for a music conservatory - and I got to move some nice sized grand pianos frequently.

OTOH, I've also seen regular movers not know what they're doing and damage pianos. The key is having people who are experienced piano movers.

Posts: 9597 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Bernard, maybe your music group will have leads on local piano movers that can help.

Sounds like a nice idea. Though I do love your cozy music room now. Would the piano go in the back where the dining room table is now?

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bernard:
Alright then. I didn't think piano movers would be interessted in moving it such a short distance.
I have hired piano movers to move a piano for only a few inches. They did it. Just know that a piano move is not priced by distance, so do not expect low cost just because the distance is short.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12688 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BeeLady:
Bernard, maybe your music group will have leads on local piano movers that can help.

Sounds like a nice idea. Though I do love your cozy music room now. Would the piano go in the back where the dining room table is now?

Yeah, that's my idea, BeeLady. Have the piano in the left corner as you enter what's now my "dining area". It would certainly be better for parties! I like my music room too, but it is a bit cramped in there with a desk/bookshelf/cabinet/piano/harpsichord, there's not a lot of space left to practice cello! And having parties means a game of sardines in the music room.

But it's not definite yet, I've only just started thinking about the possibility.

Good idea about asking at the school.

Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Axtremus:
quote:
Originally posted by Bernard:
I have hired piano movers to move a piano for only a few inches. They did it. Just know that a piano move is not priced by distance, so do not expect low cost just because the distance is short.

Oh. Frowner

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
What you are paying for is knowing how to break it down, move it and put it back together.Takes three people if you are not pros, two if you are. It's not hard, you just have to know the process and have the equipment (piano skid board, four wheel furniture dolly). I preferred grand moves to uprights. Given that you only do this a very few times I'd just pay the mover.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Local techs will likely have lists of movers that they would suggest. Call around, you are paying for time for them to get to you and back, plus the equipment and expertise to make sure nothing is damaged... One may offer a better price if they can combine another job local to you!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7554 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
why not call the dartmouth music dept and ask who they recommend? or if there is a local symphony that has occasion to have piano soloists.

definitely do not use anyone who has not done this numerous times. regular movers are a no-no.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21341 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Too bad you need it to go through doorways; otherwise you could possibly move it on its casters (with 3 or so people) or buy a piano truck (the "spider" contraption).

I've had a mover do a move like yours, it was $300 room to room. That was a few years ago, and it was my former 7' grand.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post