well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Hampshire offers all New College students admission

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hampshire offers all New College students admission
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted
https://www.hampshire.edu/news...-new-college-florida

I don't know much about Hampshire and if I did my information would be outdated.

Florida will be a wasteland with its public education system destroyed.

New College had hard times in the '70's, and a building program and increase in the number of students which destroyed historic architecture starting when I was there, but I never imagined this happening.

I wonder what the many philanthropists who gave money to New College over its history must be thinking now.

Frowner

Posts: 24638 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Ok, I know what you're thinking. That was an awkward sentence. My error. Most of them must be gone by now.

It's a long story but they paid for 60% of my tuition (and everyone else's).

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
It sounds like Hampshire College was having financial problems so this could help them as well as the Nee College students.

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I think Jon is correct on this one - if so, it's a possible win-win. Hampshire (aka Hamster) College is actually a really good little progressive college with affiliations to the other schools in the area- such as Smith, UMass, Mt Holyoke, maybe Amherst College?, but it's $$$.

Posts: 35366 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
Hampshire (aka Hamster) College is actually a really good little progressive college with affiliations to the other schools in the area- such as Smith, UMass, Mt Holyoke, maybe Amherst College?, but it's $$$.
It’s the Five College Consortium, https://www.fivecolleges.edu/

Have a couple of old friends who went there and they seem to have liked the experience and turned out OK. Smiler

But in the face of shrinking population I can see the smaller colleges struggling. UMass Amherst is the only exception being the flagship campus of a state university.

--------------------------------
www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12679 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post