well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Toronado

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Toronado
 Login/Join

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted
When I was a kid, this was pretty much the coolest-looking car out there. I thought it was basically the Batmobile that people who weren't on TV drove.

I'm sure Steve would warn me away -- handles like a shopping cart full of tomato soup, brakes that take a block and a half to stop, etc. But a 1967-ish Toronado would be on my list of cars to own if I had a garage like Jay Leno.

Of course, that is after a 1966 Volvo Wagon, several Beetles, and a few Mercedes SLs.

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30029 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
haha
My father's sister had one. She had a lot of trouble with it.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
My dream car would be a 1967 VW convertible bug. Barring that, a Karmann-Ghia same vintage, convertible.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
My dream car would be a 1967 VW convertible bug. Barring that, a Karmann-Ghia same vintage, convertible.
Yes and yes. I wouldn't own another convertible in the Northwet unless I had a garage. Leaving the Miata outside for a couple years was hard on the soft top.

I had a '65 bug in college. It died after 8 months. I wish I had sunk some money into it and kept it longer, but I needed something more reliable right away. That was the start of my string of Volvos.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30029 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
When I worked at the gas station, we had a customer who drove one. This would be around 1973.

Nice car, drove well, very quiet. Owner was not happy when it ate a freeze plug though - engine had to be removed to fix it and it wasn't cheap.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34837 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Qaanaaq-Liaaq
posted Hide Post
It still looks good after all these years. I haven’t seen a first generation Olds Toronado in decades. But I have seen it’s counterpart the Buick Riviera at a couple of antique auto shows in the past few years.

The Toro was a personal luxury car. I think this means it’s because it has two doors instead of four. With its long hood, short deck, hidden headlamps, and full width tail lamps, it has a timeless stylish design. It also had front wheel drive which was rare back in the 1960s and 1970s. Most cars were rear wheel drive back then.

I once read somewhere that there’s a shop somewhere in the U.S. that specializes in restoring Toros/Rivs.

The discontinued Olds Aurora borrowed many styling elements from the first generation Olds Toro.

Posts: 1410 | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Give me a 73 Eldorado ragtop. Emerald green with cream interior and top.

Before that you'll have to go to the late 50's Mopars.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13523 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post