well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    I have a job interview on Wed.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I have a job interview on Wed.
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted
Disclaimer: Only posting here..Do not mention on FB as coworkers lurk there.

Work has become unbearable since private equity bought us out...layoffs, clamp downs of all sorts...slash and burn cost savings..Lack of guidance...and poor morale in the office.

Did I mention the soul sucking commute back and forth to the new office for just 20 miles that sometimes takes 1.5 hours each way? (no public transport in the burbs)

I was given a new, more challenging job two years ago, a nice raise though still lower than market..but I am fine with that...I have taken full advantage of perks before they go away, 401K match, and $5K in tuition reimbursement to obtain a Certificate in Project Management from the local U.

But every day is a new ding...latest is looking at our outsourcers and the true cost of paying each individual..I found one category that makes $3/hr...And I am told to slash their budget.. Curse

I have come to the realization that I just cannot do this anymore but what to do? I am to turn 60 at the end of the year and do not get Medicare for 5 more years...

And then...a local nonprofit posted a job....OMG...much of the skills I have thru work but more importantly from my years of working for Montana de Luz.

I know the group personally and approached some key folks at a fund raiser this weekend to see if they might consider me for the job. The reaction was more positive than I expected..So I got some help from an HR friend to update my resume and sent it off first thing this morning, got a reply before 10am and have an appointment to meet on Wednesday.

I could walk to work every day.....just sayin...

I feel like I have gotten my answer to "What am I going to do?" Even if this does not work out, I know that I am destined to choose the path less traveled from now on.

Wish me luck!!

--------------------------------
"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Wow, that sounds *very* exciting!

Knock 'em dead, BL!

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
This is exciting! I have a good feeling about this for you.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
Fingers crossed for you BL. Sending all kinds of good vibes.

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10571 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I hope it all works out. These kinds of buyouts are really the pits. I've seen that play out very personally (my wife, not me).

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Oh wow BL! How exciting! I will be sending you all kinds of good vibes!! Fingers and toes crossed!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
It does sound great.
Hope it all goes well.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Good luck! They'd be lucky to have you.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"One half of me is a hopeless romantic, the other half is so damn realistic."
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rustyfingers
posted Hide Post
They would indeed. Sounds perfect. A friend of mine in the area just got his dream job too. I think it’s a trend. You’ll knock it out of the park. Yes

Problems are not the problem. Coping is the problem. --Virginia Satir

Posts: 8342 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 11 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great opportunity!

We’ll all be happy to provide references...

Good luck!

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34929 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Now, remember . . . Your greatest weakness is that you demand too much of yourself and are so exacting, thorough, and efficient that co-workers sometimes cannot focus on getting their work done, so you cheerfully pitch in to help them.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
That sounds wonderful! Hope it works out for you. Fingers crossed. Anyone would be lucky to have you on their team.

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Good luck!

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Sounds ideal. Good luck!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Wow! Sounds like a great opportunity for you and them.

Hope they recognize it. Glad if you can get out of the box you're in now.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post