well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Anybody here read Russian?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody here read Russian?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
How about Russian cursive writing?

https://www.boredpanda.com/russian-cursive/

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37752 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Older generations of Chinese would descriptively call it "chicken intestine." Big Grin

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12680 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
I am curious how well optical character recognition technologies can "read" Russian cursive.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12680 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
That’s mostly just sloppy handwriting. I learned Russian cursive in college and don’t recall any problems.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13777 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Badly written cursive is hard to read in any language. I've used the Russian alphabet/language since 1969. Written clearly, it's only unintelligible if you don't read Russian.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21302 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Agreed. That's just bad handwriting. It isn't a good exemplar of Russian cursive. I took Russian in college and had a Russian history minor. I only took 1 year of Russian but had lot of friends who were fluent, and of course our instructors were. Nobody's handwriting looked like that. Big Grin

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I studied Russian for about eight years. My handwriting is beautiful, like some of the examples farther down that thread showing the cursive that is (was) taught in school. I'll have to see if I can find a paper from college. But I still have a hard time reading Russians' typical handwriting. They can always read mine.

The last week I was living in Moscow a few years ago, I left a note for my housekeeper (whom I never met) with 1000 rubles and best wishes for New Years and Christmas (because in Russia, New Years comes before Christmas). She tore off the lower half of the paper and wrote a very nice thank you note. It looked like she had tried especially hard to write legibly. It was in cursive... I've found that most Russians just resort to block letters when they are writing for non-Russians.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30029 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post