well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Public Domain Day

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Public Domain Day
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
Free books!

quote:
Starting at midnight on January 1, tens of thousands of books (as well as movies, songs, and cartoons) entered the public domain, meaning that people can download, share, or repurpose these works for free and without retribution under US copyright law.

Per the Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act of 1998, “corporate” creations (like Mickey Mouse) can be restricted under copyright law for 120 years. But per an amendment to the act, works published between 1923 and 1977 can enter the public domain 95 years after their creation. This means that this is the first year since 1998 that a large number of works have entered the public domain.

Basically, 2019 marks the first time a huge quantity of books published in 1923—including works by Virginia Woolf, Agatha Christie, and Robert Frost—have become legally downloadable since digital books became a thing. It’s a big deal—the Internet Archive had a party in San Francisco to celebrate. Next year, works from 1924 will enter the public domain, and so-on.

So, how do you actually download these books?

edit: Suggestions for downloads here:

https://motherboard.vice.com/e...ed-the-public-domain

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37913 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Project Gutenberg.

Also people take uncopyrighted works, format them for kindle, and sell them really cheap on Amazon.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Let's see ... which Rachmaninoff works have just entered public domain?

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12689 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Many. That’s why Henle just started putting out editions.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Thanks, all.

Posts: 24720 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
The last time the copyright law was changed to protect older works, it was because the copyright on Mickey Mouse was about to expire. Disney had a conniption, and got Mickey's copyright extended.

I wonder how long until they do that again. I doubt Mickey has entered the public domain. The howls from Disney would be heard nationwide.

Posts: 45742 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post