Find
Notify
Tools

For Jon
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted
I read yesterday that Apple's new all-you-can-eat magazine offering will include subscriptions to some newspapers, including the Wall Street Journal.

If you read more even a couple of newspapers and magazines regularly, the subscription to the Apple product may be far cheaper than individual subscriptions.

(I know you've said you don't subscribe to the WSJ, this would be a way to read it.)

Posts: 45733 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I’ll check it out. Maybe it’ll make sense just based on our magazine subscriptions alone. (NYer, Economist, Atlantic).

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I know the New Yorker and the Atlantic were a couple of the names mentioned in articles, in addition to the WSJ and the LA Times.

Oh, and they allow several family members all to have access.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
So, I’m testing Apple News. Sadly, it doesn’t give you access to the WSJ. Just the headlines and a few of the stories.

It’s a convenient aggregation format, but it may not be worth the price, if you still need the underlying subscriptions.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Seems interesting. Has anyone seen a list of the magazines and newspapers it contains?

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
You are allowed a 30-day free trial, which gives you a chance to explore the full list.

I can’t copy and paste, but, if you have specific asks, I’ll check.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
And it looks like some things, like the WSJ, require underlying subscriptions. (And it’s not just newspapers, People Magazine, too.). So click through the magazine title to specific articles to check.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Can you check NYer, Economist, and Atlantic? Clicking through to verify no additional subscription is needed?

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
OK. I'm doing the following ... checking three random articles on click-through, then looking at the front page to see if any of the articles are marked "subscription".

New Yorker -- all good, specifically shows the most recent print editions

The Atlantic -- all good, specifically shows the most recent print editions

The Economist -- nope. There is a banner at the top talking about subscriptions, and 95% of the articles are marked "subscription". If you click through, those articles say that a subscription is needed.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I appreciate it.