well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Atlanta Spa Shootings (2021 March)

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Atlanta Spa Shootings (2021 March)
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted
More senseless loss of lives:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik...tlanta_spa_shootings

Eight dead due to a series of shootings across three massage parlors in the Atlanta area, all committed by one man on the same day, 2021 March 16.

--------------------------------
www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12689 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I have no idea if this will prove race-related in intent. I DO know that this is yet another bit of evidence that American gun culture, and its advocates' long fight to keep guns as readily available as possible, keeps our gun-death statistics truly world class.

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Capt. Baker is About to Have a Very Bad No Good Day

As he should.

quote:
“He was pretty much fed up and kind of at the end of his rope. Yesterday was a really bad day for him and this is what he did,” Cherokee County sheriff’s office Capt. Jay Baker said Wednesday. He was describing the 21-year-old man accused of killing eight people, mostly Asian and almost all women, in a rampage across three Atlanta-area spas.

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Baker's comments show how totally clueless he is.

I struggle with the hesitation to assign race as a motivator in these killings. Are we now in a position that, unless the shooter says, "I shot them because they were Asian..." we refuse to acknowledge the racial aspect at all?

Given the complicated history and our cultural commingling of Asian women and sex workers, for him to claim that he did this because of a "sex addiction," as the only reason, doesn't meet the sniff test, IMO. There are lots of massage therapists who are NOT Asian--the fact that this hasn't been brought up indicates how complicated the association is. I've heard arguments that are essentially saying, "He didn't target Asians, he targeted massage therapists," as if the two were equal. The name of the massage parlor was Young's Asian Massage. He picked that one out randomly? He didn't go out and shoot hookers.

But what about the two who weren't Asians? Doesn't that prove lack of racial intent? Not in my book. One of the non-Asian victims was ex-military. We'll likely never know, but it's at least plausible that he got into the line of fire randomly, or in an attempt to stop the shooter.

Clearly the guy had some mental health issues. But it seems that, just as clearly, some of his issues with "sex addition" had a racial quality to them. This isn't an either-or situation. He can have multiple motivations in his twisted mind for carrying out the murders. It's too easy to just say, "oh yeah, sex addition" and think that's the whole story.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
Baker's comments show how totally clueless he is.

I struggle with the hesitation to assign race as a motivator in these killings. Are we now in a position that, unless the shooter says, "I shot them because they were Asian..." we refuse to acknowledge the racial aspect at all?

Given the complicated history and our cultural commingling of Asian women and sex workers, for him to claim that he did this because of a "sex addiction," as the only reason, doesn't meet the sniff test, IMO. There are lots of massage therapists who are NOT Asian--the fact that this hasn't been brought up indicates how complicated the association is. I've heard arguments that are essentially saying, "He didn't target Asians, he targeted massage therapists," as if the two were equal. The name of the massage parlor was Young's Asian Massage. He picked that one out randomly? He didn't go out and shoot hookers.

But what about the two who weren't Asians? Doesn't that prove lack of racial intent? Not in my book. One of the non-Asian victims was ex-military. We'll likely never know, but it's at least plausible that he got into the line of fire randomly, or in an attempt to stop the shooter.

Clearly the guy had some mental health issues. But it seems that, just as clearly, some of his issues with "sex addition" had a racial quality to them. This isn't an either-or situation. He can have multiple motivations in his twisted mind for carrying out the murders. It's too easy to just say, "oh yeah, sex addition" and think that's the whole story.

Agreeing with you here, Nina. And in the end, it needs a bigger view: Yes, hate crime against Asians. But the bigger problem seems to be white male violence, overall.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
I have to disagree with both of you. To use the Tolstoy quote from Anna Karenina, I think it is simplistic to assign this shooting to Asian animas. That very well may be found at the heart of the shooter's motivation, but the choice of multiple massage parlors as the target of murder argues that there is more to this. If it was simply a desire to target people who are or have an appearance of being Oriental, the he could have visited many restaurants in the region.

I, in no way, want to diminish how horrific this attack is. I only want to say that characterizing it as Oriental targeted violence per se may diminish the potential nuances of motivation that could reduce the possibility of other such violence.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7404 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think it is simplistic to assign this shooting to Asian animas.

I must not have made myself clear, because what you stated was exactly the point of my post. Big Grin

I tend to think that this is all wrapped up into a smelly bundle of misogyny, racism, and mental fragility. By mental fragility, I mean being susceptible to whatever messages of hate he hears.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post