well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    And yet another truly horrible day. The sequel. (see end of thread)
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

And yet another truly horrible day. The sequel. (see end of thread)
 Login/Join

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I'm so sorry you had all this land on your head, but glad you were all able to get home safe and sound.

If it were me, I'd let it go. The mechanic stepped up, paid for at least part of the towing, and (I presume) fixed or will fix the issues. At some point I believe pushing to get a final resolution just isn't worth the mental anxiety. That determination is obviously weighted heavily by how much out of pocket money you were out.

I guess my point is your sanity has value as well.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
I did let it go. I can't make someone behave the way I think they should. And he didn't ask me for feedback on his style of customer service

I will take the truch to my neighbor's mechanic to make sure everything is as it should be.

I wasn't asking if I should go after my mechanic for more, I was just venting about why the way he handled it left me feeling less appreciative than I could have felt.

--------------------------------
fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21346 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Have you considered replacing that truck? It’s getting a bit long in the tooth (see what I did there? Cool) , IIRC.

The older it gets the more problems like this it’s going to have. Maybe consider a Ford this time.

Got rust?

Just sayin’.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34929 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Have you considered replacing that truck? It’s getting a bit long in the tooth (see what I did there? Cool) , IIRC.

The older it gets the more problems like this it’s going to have. Maybe consider a Ford this time.

Got rust?

Just sayin’.

No rust whatsoever.It only has 163,000 miles on it and I know people with the same year and model that have put twice that on theirs. Plus it has Quadrasteer, so it drives like a sports car and the horse trailer follows it exactly around curves--no need to swing out widely to avoid the curb. If you've ever driven a Quadrasteer truck you'd never suggest I replace it. The people who have them (I belong to some FB groups) hang onto them forever, or hope to

And have you seen what trucks cost nowadays? I paid only $12k for this truck and it is worth more than that now.

It's also fully loaded--heated leather seats, the works. I can't possibly replace it.

Besides, this problem wasn't because it is old. It was because of a defective part. The same thing could happen to a new truck.

I personally very much dislike Fords. Sorry. Cool

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
I did let it go. I can't make someone behave the way I think they should. And he didn't ask me for feedback on his style of customer service

I will take the truch to my neighbor's mechanic to make sure everything is as it should be.

I wasn't asking if I should go after my mechanic for more, I was just venting about why the way he handled it left me feeling less appreciative than I could have felt.

Venting is good. I'm a big fan, personally. A good vent at the right time and place is totally cathartic.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:

Venting is good.

NO IT’S NOT! IT’S MEAN-SPIRITED AND EVIL! YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF! GET OFF MY LAWN!

Actually, I feel a bit better now…

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:

Got rust?

Just sayin’.

I personally very much dislike Fords. Sorry. Cool

My wife hates herring in sour cream, even though she’s never tried it.

It’s quite good, actually.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34929 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Holy cow, truck troubles are scary enough, then add the horse and trailer, I would be a basket case. So sorry to hear about deva’s arthritis. ♥️ Comfort

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20452 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Steve: ROTFLMAO

I love herring in sour cream.

Before I bought my truck I borrowed quite a few and rented a couple. Fords. Didn't like 'em.

Rented a 2500HD Silverado for the mountain man ride. Total love. Wanted one ever since. Very very happy with it.

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
well fvck. I was writing an entire epic to rival the Iliad and the whole thing went *poof*.

Trust me, it was horrible, and full of suspense. And it's out there in the ethernet, somewhere.

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Ugh. I'm sorry!

Long ago, I got into the habit of not writing long posts in the actual reply thingy (pop up window). If I'm writing long, I open up a text things, like Notes or Word. It's a pita but less frustrating than losing a post!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
I'm actually kinda okay with it. I was pretty much at the very end of the story, which had to have been the longest post I have ever written anywhere. Just writing it all out was very cathartic, and while I did make it entertaining as well as horrifying, and it was interesting, the act of writing it was probably more valuable than having it live in these pages for posterity.

I actually no longer feel the desire to tell the whole story. Though it may have been valuable to have a printout for court, if things get that far.

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
the cliff notes version:

the transmission did die on my very next drive. 80 miles from home. with two horses in tow this time. in the hot sun. on the interstate. and no tow truck drivers available. and the mechanic who caused the whole problem saying its not his problem and btw his tow truck is out of commission and he can't get my truck in to be looked at for a month.

i'm insulating the horse trailer now with polyiso foam panels, 1" thick, and aluminum tape.

auto insurance company--Travelers--is sending over an insurance adjuster to have a look at my disabled truck and has set up a discount for me at a local car rental company.

transmission guy I called this morning turns out is married to a co-worker of Mr. Pique's. He's going to take care of me, to the tune of $7grand. Supposedly does great rebuilds. But can't even take a look for a couple of weeks.

oh, and he says there is no question whatsoever, based on my strictly factual account, that my now-former mechanic is responsible. the particular tranny in my truck can easily run without problems for 300k miles.

we'll see what insurance says. they have opened a claim. i have a $1k deductible.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
ROTFLMAO ROTFLMAO ROTFLMAO

omg. thank you. i needed that!