well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Hurricane headed straight toward Tampa 3 main counties
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hurricane headed straight toward Tampa 3 main counties
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
SO found reports of transformers falling on houses and burning them to the ground. Oops.

I guess we're go back if they have lifted the order.

I think it will happen tomorrow.

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
My brother and SIL live in Sarasota and my mother is in a Memory Care Facility in Tampa, so naturally we've all been on tenterhooks as Ian wafted and waved his way northward.

They put up their hurricane shutters and were about as prepared as they could be (though nothing could have done much to protect them if the eye of the storm hadn't shifted Eastward only shortly before it was to hit them.

They still have no internet or power and even cell service is spotty (sometimes they can call mostly not).

That's the ONE really awful thing about Florida. Every time hurricane season begins, I remember my grandmother's beach house south of Myrtle Beach (right on the shore) being blown and washed to smithereens in a long ago hurricane.

The house to her right was completely spared; the one to her left actually had the ground floor washed away (somehow leaving the second story livable). There was nothing left of Grandma's house, though, but a pipe draining from the ground and a small clock my father had painted decorations on. (Her next house she had built on the second row back from the surf, on the inlet.)

I remember vividly, evacuating before the storm struck, slogging in a long line of cars, tires partly submerged. The sky was a peculiar purplish hue around noon and the inlet we just managed to drive by in time, was bare of water with fiddler crabs scrabbling naked on the sand, scurrying into their holes. Funny things that stick in your mind.

I only heard about this, of course, since it was only my grandmother who drove back to see what had happened during the storm. She cried for a while whenever she talked about it. She was also disturbed (we all were) to hear from her about the trucks which got through for looting.) Mad

--------------------------------
The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Ft. Myers and Naples got the worst of it.

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Right.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Frequenter
Picture of AD
posted Hide Post
We have friends on holiday in Orlando for the week.
Timing, LOL

Every morrning the soul is once again as good as new, and again one offers if to one's brothers and sisters in life.

Posts: 384 | Location: Land of the Prince Bishops | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
The Sunken Gardens flamingos made it through the storm.
https://www.tampabay.com/hurri...room-are-doing-fine/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37933 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I just spent 3 days with SO and his family. It was kind of like a vacation. I feel badly for the places and people affected by Ian. But I can't lie. I'm glad we got nothing more than 35 mph winds here.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
90 percent of the homes in Fort Myers Beach have been destroyed.

First hand account.

https://www.news-press.com/sto...cane-ian/8137683001/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37933 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Shark swimming in someone's yard.

https://abc7ny.com/hurricane-i...rs-florida/12280667/

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Saw an interview with a woman who said her family lost their house in a wildfire in CA in 2018. Her husband always wanted to live on a boat.

Yea, you guessed it. They bought a boat and we’re living on it in Fort Myers.

It’s gone.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Shark swimming in someone's yard.

https://abc7ny.com/hurricane-i...rs-florida/12280667/

!

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Add Myrtle Beach, SC to the list.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
‘I Did All I Could’: As Floodwaters Rose, She Fought to Save Her Disabled Brothers

Darcy Bishop for decades has cared for her two brothers, who have cerebral palsy. Hurricane Ian was her biggest test yet.

tl;dr - They all made it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/1...rescue-brothers.html

Bazootiehead-in-training

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Saw an interview with a woman who said her family lost their house in a wildfire in CA in 2018. Her husband always wanted to live on a boat.

Yea, you guessed it. They bought a boat and we’re living on it in Fort Myers.

It’s gone.

I am not interested in blaming this couple, but at the same time, it's hard to be sympathetic for their situation, which was created but them by choice. It's one thing for people who have lived in a place their whole lives, don't have the choice to get elsewhere etc... But to go from area impacted by natural (ish) disasters to another which is basically famous for getting battered by hurricanes... It doesn't strike me as a wise decision...

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18517 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
tl;dr - They all made it.

I would not have read this article w/o your tl;dr, even knowing the ending, it still made me cry. What an ordeal. And what a life, a lifetime of caring and self-sacrifice.

And that flood company!!
quote:
The flood insurance company informed her that recouping her losses requires taking a photo of each ruined item and writing down its description. It is an unimaginable undertaking.

Curse

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18517 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post