well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Trump expected to commute Blagojevich's sentence

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trump expected to commute Blagojevich's sentence
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
https://abcnews.go.com/Politic...ch/story?id=69049748

I wonder if it will actually happen this time....it's been close before but Trump pulled back at the last minute...

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37875 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Drain the swamp!

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12688 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
For the record none of his pardons are close to being as bad as Obama’s pardon of the unrepentant Puerto Rican terrorist.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
For the record none of his pardons are close to being as bad as Obama’s pardon of the unrepentant Puerto Rican terrorist.

How might one grade such a thing?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34922 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Subjectively.

But this guy lead an organization that bombed targets in the US over 100 times.

And he was doing this during a time when Puerto Rico was consistently voting to remain part of the US.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
Subjectively.

But this guy lead an organization that bombed targets in the US over 100 times.

And he was doing this during a time when Puerto Rico was consistently voting to remain part of the US.

I do not know this story. Did Barak ever give a reason for why he decided to pardon the guy?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34922 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I don’t know that he did. Defenders of the act pointed to his age and spun it as burying some old hatchet with Puerto Ricans. Like showing them respect by releasing their old warrior, bygones being bygones and all.

But that story really failed if you remember that the vast majority of Puerto Ricans of that era were not in favor of independence. Independence always polled less than 5%. He wasn’t Puerto Rico’s valiant decolonization warrior. He was a man that used extreme violence to try to fight for something that Puerto Ricans repeatedly and soundly rejected in fair and open democratic processes. He was fighting against the expressed interest of Puerto Ricans, and using bombs to do it.

And what is really key is he never repented. He always considered himself a political prisoner and anti-colonial hero. Still does, I’m sure.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Right up Trump's alley, someone fawning all over him.

https://www.politico.com/news/...p-commutation-116018

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37875 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post