well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Another vaccine update (aka "tears of relief")

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another vaccine update (aka "tears of relief")
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted
My state announced that as of April 1. it's moving up (down??) another level in vaccine groups, and I was miraculously able to get an appt. for both shots 1 and 2 for Mr. SK (Moderna).

I am sooo relieved, I completely teared up when I was going through the appointment scheduler and realized I was going to be able to get him an appt.

I have been so worried that he wouldn't be able to get an appt, or that by the time he did, it would be J&J or something other than Moderna or Pfizer. I wasn't expecting to feel how I do, just like completely on the verge of tears from relief!!!

This pandemic weighs on us in ways we often don't even notice.

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18312 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I would've been happy with J&J...

But congrats - I know the feeling of finally getting an appointment for real!!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7546 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
ThumbsUp

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37755 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Yahoo! ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34834 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would've been happy with J&J...

And I may not know enough about it and may be sort of overreacting... Which is likely, I think the pandemic is just weighing so heavy and I want him to be as protected as he possibly can be.

Also, I'm getting Moderna (shot number two this weekend) and I didn't want him to get anything that's not at least as good as what I'm getting (if there was a better one available, then I'd have him get the better one!)

Anyway, I am just so, so relieved!!!!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18312 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I can understand that. MFR and I both got Pfizer, and I am glad for it. If there is a benefit or drawback it will be consistent in our household.

We went out to eat twice today, brunch and dinner. It was nice to feel OK about going in to restaurants that were keeping good practices.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13520 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I would have taken J&J in a heartbeat.

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2021...what-you-should-know

So many countries have had zero people vaccinated. I just feel so lucky to be able to get *any* vaccine.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37755 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I remember reading that the J&J vaccine is 100% effective against hospitalization and death, and thought, I'll take some of that, please. OK, Moderna and Pfizer are just as good against hospitalization and death and a little better against moderate to severe illness. But I would definitely have taken the J&J shot and not looked back.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
At the same time I'm massively relieved to have had my two Moderna shots (and feel as safe as I can be), I'm looking forward to learning how the various vaccines handle the variants we've been hearing about. (Wondering, too, whether I have a Moderna booster shot in the offing. I'm guessing the teams are working hard to tweak the existing vaccines to resist variants,)

There's so much we still don't know.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I saw this language-and-culture-related article about how chit-chat about which brand of vaccine you got is the new small talk, and I thought of this thread, sk. This article is right down your professional alley. Smiler

Which vaccine did you get?

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15505 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
Yeah, I remember reading that the J&J vaccine is 100% effective against hospitalization and death, and thought, I'll take some of that, please. OK, Moderna and Pfizer are just as good against hospitalization and death and a little better against moderate to severe illness. But I would definitely have taken the J&J shot and not looked back.

Yes. For me, any of the three would be fine. But I wanted Pfizer or Moderna for Mr. AM; upper respiratory things hit him hard and the coughing goes on much longer than for most people. So avoiding illness at all was an important factor for us.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9786 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post