well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    One Small Business Dies..

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

One Small Business Dies..
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted
My sister's...She has been keeping her restaurant/bar/liquor store a float since her husband died 2 years ago.

She layed off all staff but one, the cook, last week and they sold take out through a window..She didn't do too much reordering expecting a smaller crowd.

But today, the mall in which the business is located has closed.

Sadly, this is in an area of senior housing and most patrons are seniors. Many rely on the restaurant for their meals. They have long done home delivery for those at home....

So all her employees are out of work and her customers are out of food... Frowner

--------------------------------
"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Frowner

I’m so sorry to hear this!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
That stinks in every way.

The gummint is talking about a huge bailout for airlines.

What about all the small businesses like your sister's?

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30030 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
This is awful. I'm so sorry.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
That stinks in every way.

The gummint is talking about a huge bailout for airlines.

What about all the small businesses like your sister's?

No matter, the bailout will not likely save them..They have a liquor license..that might be her saving grace, depending on the market when all is said and done.

Still, the patrons are left with not many alternatives for meals in that area. Frowner

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear this. The plight of small businesses, and their mostly lower-income employees, will be intense over the next year.

My youngest was just laid off from his restaurant position in Denver. He is now unemployed, with rent to pay. Fortunately for him, he has parents who can be a financial backstop.

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
Sorry to hear this. The plight of small businesses, and their mostly lower-income employees, will be intense over the next year.

My youngest was just laid off from his restaurant position in Denver. He is now unemployed, with rent to pay. Fortunately for him, he has parents who can be a financial backstop.

Same here.. Shorty and Middle work for a high end restaurant (and both make more than me!). Shorty was injured (cut his hand on a glass) and has been good about saving. He decided that others needed the work more, so has layed himself off for now. Middle is working part time doing meal deliveries for the restaurant.

The only reason they can do this is that they live with their Dad, rent free. Frowner

MillCityGrows.org

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
My sister wrote to Rachel Ray and Ta Dah! Her place was featured on her show some years ago.. The Happy Hour

The clientele are still the same demographic.

MillCityGrows.org

Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
So sad.

Wait, has something happened re RR showing?

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
That was a real shame, BL. SOunds like an ideal small business - a great human exchange for proprietors and customers.

Hoping like LL I understood it's doom was somehow averted.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
So sorry. A scenario that unfortunately will be repeated hundreds of times.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13780 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LL:
So sad.

Wait, has something happened re RR showing?

The regulars were big fans so the show featured the place on her show some years ago. She made a surprise visit.

MillCityGrows.org

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Very sorry to hear this, BeeLady.

With regards to seniors' food supplies, there is a senior living community here where someone (I don't know who) delivered a bag of groceries to every household. I don't much detail about it or whether it's going to be repeated, but it looks like the bag of grocery just shows up and left at the front door of every household in that senior living community.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12682 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post