well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Meanwhile, in Virginia....

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Meanwhile, in Virginia....
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
A small number of Republicans on a congressional district committee tried to censure Rep. Denver Riggleman because he officiated a same-sex marriage earlier this month.

The 5th Congressional District Republican Committee went into a closed session for more than two hours to discuss the matter at a meeting on Saturday at Healing Strides horse riding center near Boones Mill.

More than two dozen committee members attended. Wendell Johnson, who represents Bedford County on the committee, tried to introduce a motion in open session to officially reprimand the first-term congressman, a Republican from Afton.

“I move that the committee censure Denver Riggleman for failing to uphold the Republican Party platform in that it states ‘marriage is between one man and one woman,’ ” the motion read.

Melvin Adams, the district committee chairman , said the motion was out of order. He said the issue was discussed in closed session, so it couldn’t be discussed in open session.

Diana Shores, who represents Cumberland County, made a motion to overrule Adams. Only four people voted in favor, so the motion failed, ending the censure effort.

https://www.roanoke.com/news/l...fd-a814409ea859.html

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37922 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Virginia seems like a very divided place.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34965 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I think it'll seem bluer in November. We've had some court-mandated un-Gerrymandering.

Posts: 12536 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Fingers crossed....

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post