well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    About that piano you're trying to sell...
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

About that piano you're trying to sell...
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
You know what sparks joy? (now that I'm on a laptop and not phone) This:

This would totally spark joy. Except, I somhow suspect I might feel self conscious about actually using it....

AdagioM, thank you for thinking of it! I'm going to go check on WTG's links. Smiler

BTW Q-L, at this point I no longer remember the details, but when we had the house inspection, I talked to the inspector about the floor and he said he didn't think there was any concern. IIRC we also talked to a carpenter who said we could have him go into the crawl space (the piano room is on the side of the house that's over the crawl space, not the finished part of the basement) and you could add... not sister joints? I don't remember, but he said because there's a crawl space it would be relatively easy to strengthen the floor from below. He also said that would be overkill.

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18295 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine that any house built since about 1950 would have any problem holding a piano. According to a quick Wiki lookup, the average weight of a grand piano is 500-1200 lbs. Let's say you had 6 members of the college football team in your house. If they stood together and did a high five, would you worry that your floor would collapse underneath them? Nope. Yet 6 good-sized guys are probably well over 1,000 lbs.

Posts: 35362 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Unless you have substantial termite damage (doubtful), your floor will support a piano just fine.

No fear! ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34810 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
quote:
Originally posted by AdagioM:
I had one of those floor templates a long time ago. I was going to send it to you, but I don’t see it here in my house any more...

Perhaps it no longer sparked joy. Cool

I kept it for a while because it was amusing!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9785 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I had an inspector in to evaluate my floor before the 9' Mason was delivered. (1400 lbs.) We put it in the spot where, in the basement, there is an extra parallel wall 3 feet from the main wall; the piano is supported by both. Not the best spot acoustically (parallel walls in the music room) but it's OK.

I think about moving the piano at an angle to improve the acoustics but have not done so. It probably wouldn't hurt.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13771 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Put it wherever you like. It will sag long before it breaks, giving you ample time to add some blocking if necessary.

Posts: 34810 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Put it wherever you like. It will sag long before it breaks, giving you ample time to add some blocking if necessary.

Are you replying to my post or earlier ones?

Um, the floor already sage because it's a very old 1885 house. Not sure how that figures into the calculations. But that's age-sagging, not weight-sagging, so maybe not critical?

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13771 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Sag is sag. You don’t want to allow floor sag to affect piano sag over the years.

That said, I have no idea how you measure piano sag. If you can still play it you’re probably ok.

Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Oh, maybe I was unclear. I'm not worried about the piano itself sagging. The floor is just uneven because of the house settling.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
Oh, maybe I was unclear. I'm not worried about the piano itself sagging. The floor is just uneven because of the house settling.

Unlevel floors are pretty typical in old houses. If it bothers you, you can usually correct it by installing jacks under the floor. Having a heavy piano on the floor probably makes the floor sag happen more quickly.

What I wonder is if sitting on an unlevel floor will damage a piano over time.

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:

Unlevel floors are pretty typical in old houses. If it bothers you, you can usually correct it by installing jacks under the floor. Having a heavy piano on the floor probably makes the floor sag happen more quickly.

What I wonder is if sitting on an unlevel floor will damage a piano over time.

i imagine it could affect the action over time, unless it is very slight. when we moved my piano into our 1890 rental house, i had to shim the piano legs to get the piano level. yup, used a long carpenter's level across the keyboard to check it.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21284 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post