well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Dog pills

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dog pills
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
Dallas hates taking pills and will work them out of whatever I wrap them in - even cheese.

I just discovered that if I put butter on them he swallows them like candy and looks for more.

Yahoo! ThumbsUp

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34819 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I just cram them down their throats and massage the throat until they swallow.

Posts: 45722 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Peanut butter works for Cosmo.

Posts: 13630 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Peanut butter worked for our dog.

Now if there was just something that worked for cats...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7543 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
My daughter was harder to get meds down than any of the animals I dealt with in vet school. Big Grin Finally managed it with peanut butter and chocolate.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20404 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I've used all of the above, except I skipped the chocolate for the dogs. Big Grin

Cats just take practice and an occasional trick. I'm pretty good at pilling most critters but was almost defeated by a friend's cat.

I take care of kitty a few times a year and he gets meds daily in a small capsule. He's fiendishly good at holding the capsule in his mouth and spitting it out no matter what you do.

After I stuff the capsule in his mouth, I gently squeeze a little water from a small syringe into the pocket at the corner of his mouth (not down the throat) and then I stroke his neck. He has to swallow to get rid of the water and the capsule goes down at the same time.

Works every time.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37720 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
George the border collie would take any pill if it was wrapped in a little ball of chevre. He might sniff at other cheese and eventually eat it, but anything that even remotely smacked of sheep -- or goat -- and he was all over it.

We were camping once and he got stung by a couple yellowjackets. I needed to get some Benadryl in him, but had no chevre on hand. Fortunately, an inch of kielbasa was enough to get him to swallow the pills.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30029 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markj:
Peanut butter works for Cosmo.

Peanut butter always worked for our other dogs but Dallas won't eat it for some reason.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34819 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
We always had Oscar Meyer braunschweiger (poor man's liver pate) in the frig. Dad made sandwiches with it for lunch.

Also worked great when Ziggy the dachshund needed to take a pill.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37720 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
George the border collie would take any pill if it was wrapped in a little ball of chevre.

Gourmet doggo!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18302 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Wow, cheese has always been my go-to with dogs. I'll have to remember butter as a backup.

Posts: 35362 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
quote:
George the border collie would take any pill if it was wrapped in a little ball of chevre.

Gourmet doggo!
Fortunately, he was not too fussy and didn't demand the garlic and herb variety. When Trader Joes had chevre on sale, we'd stock up. Costco also had an acceptable chevre that came in a three-pack.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30029 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
There is a long pill dispenser for cats. Goes way back and they can't gag it out. Work fast! Attack from behind so they can't see what's coming!

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post