well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Am I the only one who thinks
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Am I the only one who thinks
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted
There are going to be riots no matter who wins tomorrow? I am just so disappointed in all of this. How did we get here?

--------------------------------
Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20409 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Sadly, I think you're not the only one who thinks that.

Maybe I'll binge those Bond movies starting tomorrow when the polls close, and just avoid any news for a few days.....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37744 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
I'm learning some jazz on the guitar. That is going to consume a lot of time. Wink

Posts: 13630 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
No, you are not the only one who thinks this....

Frowner

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18310 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
From what I'm seeing in the news -- and out on the road -- I'm thinking there will be some uprising.

I drove through two small towns in Eastern Washington yesterday. There were a couple of pickups with US flags and I-1 flags and signs in the first one. In the second, we saw a bunch -- maybe 20 -- all driving together along the main street. I was fortunate enough to turn onto that street a block ahead of them and got the heck out of there (and spilled a tub of baked beans in the process).

There are some people who are always looking for an excuse to cause trouble. People all over the political spectrum... in fact, I think many of them are not really political, they just want to make trouble. We've seen that all year. People going out and looting and vandalizing.

I agree. It might be ugly for a while. But I sincerely hope any action is short-lived and does not result in any injuries or loss of life.

I'm getting to the point where I don't really recognize this country as the one I grew up in.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30029 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
Oh wait!

From the thread title I thought you had found yourself alone in a room full of republicans!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Posts: 1534 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
There's a motorcycle on craigslist I'm interested in. I talked with the woman selling it (it was her father's) last night. It's on the other side of the sound... I can either take a ferry from downtown Seattle, or drive around the south end.

I suggested I could come over on Wednesday.

She said, "oh... wait... that'll be the day after election... maybe we should wait a few more days."

Especially if I decide to take the ferry.

Ugh.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30029 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
I think the risks from both sides are not equivalent. If Trump loses and there is violence from armed militias from the right, those people will be "patriots" and will be honored. What do you see as the equivalent from the left?

Posts: 9596 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kluurs:
I think the risks from both sides are not equivalent. If Trump loses and there is violence from armed militias from the right, those people will be "patriots" and will be honored. What do you see as the equivalent from the left?

I don't see and equivalent from the left. I will not be surprised if some on the right do what they can to get the left blamed for what they do. They seem to be adept at doing that well.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25668 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I don’t see a lot of confidence coming from Fox.

And I am in Reading, PA. There is another Biden volunteer with me. He voted Trump last time, this time Biden. He said he gave Trump the benefit of the doubt last time and didn’t think Trump would be this bad.

Only a few grumpy Trump voters in an area that does not look affluent.

Posts: 19756 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
From what I'm seeing in the news -- and out on the road -- I'm thinking there will be some uprising.

I drove through two small towns in Eastern Washington yesterday. There were a couple of pickups with US flags and I-1 flags and signs in the first one. In the second, we saw a bunch -- maybe 20 -- all driving together along the main street. I was fortunate enough to turn onto that street a block ahead of them and got the heck out of there (and spilled a tub of baked beans in the process).

There are some people who are always looking for an excuse to cause trouble. People all over the political spectrum... in fact, I think many of them are not really political, they just want to make trouble. We've seen that all year. People going out and looting and vandalizing.

I agree. It might be ugly for a while. But I sincerely hope any action is short-lived and does not result in any injuries or loss of life.

I'm getting to the point where I don't really recognize this country as the one I grew up in.

I'm sure you all have been aware for a long time that there has been massive stockpiling of weaponry, far and away most on the Right.

And just to reiterate, the news has been full of that being stepped up in the last weeks heading into the Election. Listening to a local NPR station, many were interviewed from all over, describing the situation they're encountering trying to purchase a gun (for the first time) - the first timers were on the Left.

Besides explaining what led up to that decision (many said it was almost an impulse based on a growing sense of danger), they also reported available gun store were all out.

People tend to want to use toys they buy - especially when they've got so many more (and more powerful) guns than they could ever use themselves. Ammo too.

Whenever this simmering rage with unspecified targets explodes, I can't see this enormous intentional militia going unused.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I signed up for text notifications from the city of Chicago.

So far, there is a protest/something planned at 4 near downtown.

And a bunch in parks around the city starting at 7.

Nothing real close to us, but we are close to a major urban rail stop, so there is often lots of spillover activity. I'm sure the city is ready to raise the bridges over the river making an island of the downtown area if things flare up. The salt trucks and stuff are at the ready to close off major routes in and out...

Buckle up!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7544 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Offline
posted Hide Post
I expect if Biden wins there will be almost nothing, at least as compared with what we've already seen from the left, all of which was neatly ignored by that tribe of acceptance and non-violence.

Posts: 900 | Location: Bay Area of CA | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
We've seen violence from both sides. I don't see the next week being much different. No matter the outcome there will be people who don't like it, and both sides seem quite willing to protest.

Posts: 35366 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I expect if Biden wins there will be almost nothing

You don't think Trump supporters will protest??

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18310 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post