well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    $30K bracelet
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

$30K bracelet
 Login/Join

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Wait, he earns $500K and has ONLY $1M in assets? Unless he's 22 years old, that's a problem. I'm guessing he's made a few frivolous buys in the past.

That said, I wouldn't do it. I don't even wear my engagement ring because I'm afraid I'll lose the diamond in it. (It happened to my mom, but fortunately I just happened to notice something flying off of her finger while we were eating lunch at a restaurant, and discovered it was the diamond out of her engagement ring. I'm scarred.)

Also, when I was leaving the house to go to work my big indulgence was Starbucks 3-4 days a week (when I went into work) and a good hairstylist. I knew it was an indulgence and determined that, as the saying goes, I was worth it. So as long as it's "mindful" frittering away your money on ephemeral stuff, go for it! Smiler

The thing I could never get behind was routinely spending a lot of money on eating out. First of all, if it's routine there's no specialness to it. Second of all, I can't help but think about where all that money will end up in a few hours...

[Edit: I just realized the person in question is a female. Replace 'he' with 'she'. TY. )

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I wondered the same thing, Nina, but the article says this:

quote:
My kids have their private college tuition and retirement fully funded, and I have an additional $1 million in investable assets in various bank and brokerage accounts.

The sentence is awkward (they funded the kids retirement? Or is she saying the parents have their own retirement covered?)

In any event, I'm guessing they have other assets like a house (or houses), along with the above.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37883 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Nina's comments about indulgences and routines make sense to me.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
The thing I could never get behind was routinely spending a lot of money on eating out. First of all, if it's routine there's no specialness to it. Second of all, I can't help but think about where all that money will end up in a few hours.)[/QUOTE]

I know a couple with big bucks, they eat out daily in Vail, Newport, etc. . Have spent weeks with the husband eating every meal out. I longed for a bowl of cereal quietly n my room in which ever of their properties we were staying in somedays.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
As someone who has "frivolously" bought art/pottery/stuff from living artists and from gallerists who bring antiques back to life, it's just another economic activity that contributes to someone else's ability to put a roof over their head and send their children to college.

Frivolous is a loaded word that usually says more about the person using (or lobbing) the term ... i.e. about their attitudes, ideas, sense of justice, personal life experience, and so on.

The "latte" problem is usually only a problem when you then hear the person who spends $10 on coffee per day complaining about being financially straitened, and carping about fairness blah blah and other peoples incomes. Then you point out how their own "frivolous" spending is getting in the way of the financial security they seem to cherish.

This person was careful to lay out the facts, that this particular frivolous purchase was just one step above their pin money.

I wonder about that column though. It almost seems like the guy writes the questions himself so he can pontificate about life, the universe and everything. Big Grin

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Got to be word salad and I stopped reading.

Just buy it if you want it. Or stop obsessing about it.

Posts: 24711 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Jewelry doesn’t interest me, but I recently dropped some coin on something that is mighty hard to justify.

For the last thirty years, I have started my morning by making myself a latte. I have a reasonable machine, but I never invested in a grinder. It seemed extravagant. I bought beans at the local coffee shop and had them ground. Only rarely was the grind right, and the coffee sucked.

Well, I finally dropped $400 on a grinder, and my life is complete. It makes all the difference.

So I can’t criticize this fellow over a stupid bracelet.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, I finally dropped $400 on a grinder, and my life is complete. It makes all the difference.

If you want good espresso, it certainly does!

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Did he not look at the news..and an omen..

Pandora Diamonds

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
The thing about buying diamonds retail, is there is practically N*O*T*H*I*N*G which loses market value as fast and as drastically as diamonds (now, especially, I'm afraid - personal loss figuring in this consideration. Frowner ) *

Not that anybody can resell a Latte, of course!

*Besides which, diamonds ARE a special instance, though, considering that for the first time, mined diamonds have had their ("diamond is forever") value artificially inflated not merely through mark-up, but because artificial diamonds are now overall indistinguishable from real ones.

And the "overall" only because real diamonds often have minute flaws which increase their value by proving their authenticity. (Now real diamonds are being laser engraved from mining through their lifespan, at an additional cost - to prove their authenticity. )

Only the movement in the diamond market (right now! Check out "Pandora") is towards big dealers selling artificial diamonds instead of mined ones.
Why? Because not only are the two indistinguishable, but the "real" ones are mined at terrible human cost in the lives of the miners (Why else are they called "blood diamonds"?)

Another reason why the buying and selling of a $30K bracelet can rightly be considered immoral and not merely extravagant.
(Briefly recalling that coffee too is often sold at an immoral mark-up, also at terrible human cost - though not always. But that just complicates what is otherwise a simpler contrast.)

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
It would depend. Aside from her somewhat convoluted question, some bracelets sell at the 30k price point and hold their value (Oscar Heyman, New York). Others not so much. Very easy to go wrong at almost all price points buying jewelery.

Posts: 24711 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post