well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Hawley will be next
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hawley will be next
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted
After Trump, Hawley will be the next MAGA leader. He is smart and he is scary.

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I honestly don't believe that a majority of Americans, or even close to a majority, approve of the crap that's been spewed, culminating in the attempted coup last week. I think it's quite possible that the MAGA crowd will overreach and turn off anyone who might be sympathetic to their cause, yet sane. If Hawley wants to tie himself to the remaining base I think it's career suicide.

We saw the greatest voter turnout ever in the POTUS election and Biden clearly won the popular vote. That was *before* the chaos of last week. I think this may galvanize many to get off their butts and vote.

At least I hope so.

In terms of sustainability, it seems to me that we should take decisive, legal action to reduce the types of voter suppression we saw this past cycle--vote by mail roadblocks, removing thousands from the voting rolls, reducing the number of polling places, gerrymandering, etc.

I know we can't get all of it done, but until the playing field is permanently made more level, we're looking at candidates quaking in fear of being primaried, over and over again.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
I think Nina is right. Hope she is.
Remember thinking Trump did not have a chance.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I'm not confident at all that it won't happen again.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37871 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
In terms of sustainability, it seems to me that we should take decisive, legal action to reduce the types of voter suppression we saw this past cycle--vote by mail roadblocks, removing thousands from the voting rolls, reducing the number of polling places, gerrymandering, etc.

How, exactly?

The Voting Rights Act has been gutted. And states like Georgia had become the laboratory for suppressing votes while still complying (within a gnat's eyelash) of the letter of the law.

These are all controlled at the state level. I'm guessing about 2/3 of the states -- maybe more? -- have some effective suppression measures in place.

Many states with majority Democrats have state legislatures that are majority republicans, and usually, the governor is republican, too.

Rich white men have rigged the system to favor rich white men. Whatcha gonna do about it?

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
None of us really thought Trump had a chance. He was too much of a buffoon. Everyone could see through him.

None of us thought he'd survive the Access Hollywood scandal.

None of us know anything.

Posts: 45737 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I’m not sure we understand anything now. I’ve lost friends for reasons that make no sense whatsoever. Along with everyone else I’ve tried to make sense of this mania that has gripped America. It might be worse than Covid.

Lizard people? Really? Pedo rings run out if the basement of a pizza place that has no basement? We’ve always had kooks in Congress, I’ll put Bernie on that list, but QAnon kooks?

I despair.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34916 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I just started reading Ezra Klein’s book Why We’re Polarized.

Interesting so far. I hope he has some ideas about how we get out of this.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37871 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Among the scary bits for me are the nihilists.

The most coherent version is to eliminate congress and enthrone I-1 as emperor - supreme autocratic dictator Dear Leader. Even some of the MAGAts that curse I-1 for saying the violence was bad still cling to making him emperor.

But a lot of these people just want to burn it all down and they have no plan for what to do next.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
IMO many simple minds see having a dictator or royals is a simple solution to a complex frightening world.
A medieval mindset?

Future Shock is here.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
The roots of Hawley's rage

"In other words, Mr. Hawley’s idea of freedom is the freedom to conform to what he and his preferred religious authorities know to be right."

The line of thought here is starkly binary and nihilistic. It says that human existence in an inevitably pluralistic, modern society committed to equality is inherently worthless.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
Future Shock is here.

Ha! I read that book in high school and it made an impact on me then. I haven't thought about it much since, but I think you're on to something. Using that book to frame the current situation makes sense of a lot of what is going on.

I need to read it again.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34916 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
The roots of Hawley's rage

"In other words, Mr. Hawley’s idea of freedom is the freedom to conform to what he and his preferred religious authorities know to be right."

The line of thought here is starkly binary and nihilistic. It says that human existence in an inevitably pluralistic, modern society committed to equality is inherently worthless.
That sounds a lot like Bill Barr's take on things.

The Christianists are hell-bent on destroying the country... but I will never understand how they hold up a serial adulterer, utterly immoral and corrupt scumbag as their chosen one.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Model predicts 'religiosity gene' will dominate society.

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
“Amongst Christian Churches in Europe and North America, defection rates are higher than conversion rates,” he said. “In some cases, such as the Amish, these losses are greatly outweighed by their very high fertility. However, for mainstream Churches, such as the Catholics or Anglicans, the birth rate is not high enough on its own to offset defections and they rely on immigration to maintain their numbers. In certain other parts of the world, such as East Asia, mainstream Christian Churches are growing through conversion.”

Interesting, given how anti-immigration the current flock of far-right religious types are.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post