well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    I Can Never Go Back to the Verizon Store

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Can Never Go Back to the Verizon Store
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted
Yesterday I walked into the Verizon store.
The Bluetooth in the store turned my hearing aids up to extremely loud. It was audio hell. The sounds were distorted. I could not hear them or think
of what to do. Turned the hearing aids down, but it was still too loud to hear the guy. He punched numbers into my phone to call Verizon. The
music on hold was so loud I could not hear him. Tried turning down the phone. I was in a state of confusion and very stressed. Told the guy I could not hear him about three times.
Life as a geezer is not always great

Now it is funny. Was not at the time.
Not sure I can go back there. They might call the men with straight jackets.
Not that I was a crazy azz**** or anything. Smiler

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"One half of me is a hopeless romantic, the other half is so damn realistic."
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rustyfingers
posted Hide Post
Sounds awful. No pun intended.

Problems are not the problem. Coping is the problem. --Virginia Satir

Posts: 8342 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 11 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Oh how awful!!

Loud noises that are 1) unexpected and 2) uncontrollable are the worse! It's very disorienting, besides being unpleasant and painful,

In grad school, the library I always went to had a security thing at the entrance (it beeped if you tried to steal a library book). If I walked through there and forgot to remove my headphones on listening to music, I got this horrible screech in my ears.

When w moved, we got a new home security thingy. Not too long ago, Mr. SK triggered it for the first time. It's different from our old one, and when the siren first started going off, I couldn't think of what it might be. Then when I realized and went to shut it off, thus going to stand right next to the siren, it was so loud I was disoriented and couldn't figure out what to do. I was standing there with my fingers in my ears for what seemed an oddly long time before I realized/remembered that I needed to punch in the code. Then I couldn't figure out how to do the punching with my fingers in my ears! suave

It's a miracle I pulled it together enough to disarm it before the police were called!

Which is all to say, you have my sympathy!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18316 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
It sounds to me like bluetooth hearing aids aren't quite ready for prime time.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34836 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
don't like devices that take orders from other devices. I don't need my refrigerator hooked up to the internet. Call me a Luddite.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13521 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Yesterday the hearing aids picked up the weather forecast from the Amazon Echo-Alexa. Have never paired the hearing aids with it. My phone must have picked the audio up.
Today nothing from it.
Seeing the audiologist Monday.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
don't like devices that take orders from other devices. I don't need my refrigerator hooked up to the internet. Call me a Luddite.

You're a Luddite.

- from one Luddite to another; takes one to know one

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37766 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I don't buy technology because it does something that's kind of cool. I buy it if it does something I really want done and does not require much involvement. Buying things I have to charge was a huge commitment for me.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13521 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't need my refrigerator hooked up to the internet.

+100.

There are some aspects of the "smart home" that make sense (kind of, not enough for me to spend money on them though). For example, water and temperature sensors in the basement to let you know of a leak or danger of freezing pipes when you're out of town. That sort of thing, ok, maybe. But a fridge that tells you you're out of milk -- while it also tracks your spending and sells that data? No, thank you.

Good grief!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18316 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
The better hearing aids today include Bluetooth.
I am going to list what I want the buttons programmed to do for those times when a phone is not available for the audiologist to set up.
Wanted to be able to listen to music from my phone or tablet without disturbing others. That works.
Like being able to hear the phone GPS through the hearing aids. That also works.

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
My sister just got her first hearing aid, and it's one of those fancy-schmancy ones that Chas describes. She's only had them for about a month. I'll have to ask her what she thinks.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
quote:
I don't need my refrigerator hooked up to the internet.

+100.

There are some aspects of the "smart home" that make sense (kind of, not enough for me to spend money on them though). For example, water and temperature sensors in the basement to let you know of a leak or danger of freezing pipes when you're out of town. That sort of thing, ok, maybe. But a fridge that tells you you're out of milk -- while it also tracks your spending and sells that data? No, thank you.

Good grief!

I also don’t need Facebook in my car.

Posts: 19756 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post