well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    You heard it here first
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You heard it here first
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
Ohm my. I still have a gas powered vehicle. I guess my reluctance makes me a resistor. I re-coiled at the low range of those initial batteries, but Tesla has rectified that. The price tag still Hertz, though.

Well played! ThumbsUp

Yes but Watt the F?

Jf

--------------------------------
Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17670 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Frost:
VW s have a poor repair record.

Jf

Don't start me on that topic. The worst vehicle by far that I ever owned was a Volkwagen Vanagon. My wife really liked it because we had small children at that time and she could buckle them in their car seats while inside the vehicle during inclement weather. I, on the other hand, spent a lot of time on, under, or in that vehicle fixing the multiple problems, many of which were recurrent.

I swore then that I would never own another Volkswagen. One of my daughters has a Jetta that she's been pretty happy with. I've chosen not to disown her for buying it.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7374 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
The SEC is not amused.

quote:
Volkswagen of America issued false statements this week saying it would change its brand name to “Voltswagen,” only to reverse course Tuesday and admit that the supposed name change was a joke.

Mark Gillies, a company spokesman, confirmed Tuesday that the statement had been a pre-April Fool’s Day joke after having insisted Monday that the release was legitimate and the name change accurate.

The fake release could land Volkswagen in trouble with U.S. securities regulators because its stock price rose nearly 5% on Tuesday.

quote:
In falsely announcing a name change, the company went beyond telling reporters that its news release was legitimate. On Tuesday, the company emailed to reporters a press release that quoted its CEO announcing the fake change:

“We might be changing out our K for a T, but what we aren’t changing is this brand’s commitment to making best-in-class vehicles for drivers and people everywhere,” Scott Keogh, president and CEO of Volkswagen of America, said in the release.

The fake release could land Volkswagen in trouble with U.S. securities regulators because its stock price rose nearly 5% on Tuesday, the day the bogus statement was officially issued. Investors of late have been responding positively to news of companies increasing electric vehicle production, swelling the value of shares of Tesla as well as of some EV startups.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/3...-on-name-change.html

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37767 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by big al:
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Frost:
VW s have a poor repair record.

Jf

Don't start me on that topic. The worst vehicle by far that I ever owned was a Volkwagen Vanagon. My wife really liked it because we had small children at that time and she could buckle them in their car seats while inside the vehicle during inclement weather. I, on the other hand, spent a lot of time on, under, or in that vehicle fixing the multiple problems, many of which were recurrent.

I swore then that I would never own another Volkswagen. One of my daughters has a Jetta that she's been pretty happy with. I've chosen not to disown her for buying it.

Big Al

Back in the 80’s I managed facilities for a large-ish computer company, long since defunct. One of my duties was to manage the company fleet, consisting of 3 service trucks for maintenance purposes, 6 cars that the VIPs and sales guys drove and the mail van.

We had 8 buildings scattered all over town and the tired old Chevy mail van racked up a lot of miles. Not many issues with it, but when Triumph Adler (a division of Volkswagen of America) bought us we got a shiny new VW water boxer Vanagon. (We also got a fleet of Audi 5000s which will be the subject of a later post, along with a flotilla of gawdawful Adler typewriters.)

That van was remarkable for the number of issues it had, and the amount of time it spent behind tow trucks dragging it in to the local dealer to get it running again. The Audis had issues (“unintended acceleration”), and my own VW Rabbit was constantly beset with the weirdest problems, but that miserable van beat all. To this day I can’t imagine what they were thinking when they released it for production. Every month I had to justify overruns in my fleet maintenance budget, even though the van was under warranty. No one wanted to hear why.

When another company bought us the fleet cars were replaced with mid sized GM station wagons, including the mail van. By that time the company was in decline and there wasn’t much mail so we didn’t need a van. The wagons were generally crappy but ever so much better than the VW stuff.

Never bought another German car and I never will, although I still lust after a Unimog.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34836 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
God saved me from buying a Volkswagen in the early '90s.

I learned to drive on a '72 Bus. It mostly ran fine. Most of the problems we had were induced by the dealer's shop. One time my mother took the Bus in for routine maintenance the week before we were going to take a family road trip. The day we were pulling out of the driveway it was raining. The windshield wipers didn't work. We spent the first few hours at the dealer. It was a wire the mechanic knocked loose.

We rarely kept the middle seat in... we just had a bunch of blankets and pillows on the floor (look at that from the perspective of a high school kid). A few weeks after I got my driver's license, my brother totaled the bus. Since we were down to a family of three after my brothers had moved out, my mother replaced the bus with a Honda Civic (look at that from the perspective of a high school kid -- who was not previously learning yoga).

When I was in college, I bought a '65 Beetle for $100. The engine itself was just fine. The starter rarely worked. There was a leak in the brake line, so you had to remember to pump the brakes the first time you wanted to stop. Like most old bugs, the floor pans were rusted through (insert Flintstone's reference here). A year later I bought a '72 Volvo and gave the Bug to the local high school auto shop.

Once I had my first real job, I was on my fifth Volvo (mostly because I sold my fave '76 Wagon when I moved back from the east coast). I got side-swiped and after that the driver's door didn't open and close properly. I started shopping for my first NEW car. In the early '90s, there was a strong anti-Japanese sentiment (they were kicking our industrial tuchus) so I was trying to buy a non-Japanese car. I looked at everything else. Most of the American offerings were "meh". I looked at the European offerings with my Consumer Reports Auto Issue in hand. I even looked at Peugeots.

The VW Jetta met all of my requirements. What was interesting was that the Jetta and Golf/Rabbit were the exact same car, but one was a sedan, the other a hatchback. Consumer Reports recommended the Jetta. The Golf was down at the bottom of the list with Yugo and Chrysler products. What was the difference? The Jetta was built in Germany; the Golf in Mexico.

I went to a local dealer that carried VW, BMW, and Subaru. I also looked at the BMW 318i. I asked the salesweasel about that first and he looked at me and said "oh, the beginner's model". He then asked if I knew how to drive a stickshift. Wow... two insults in the first ten seconds. The first car we drove was a VW Fox. This was the cheapest car VW made. $8000. Echt Volkswagen. You had to downshift to third gear to get it on the freeway. As we were out for the test drive, I mentioned that I was shopping for my first ever new car. The salesweasel asked "so, is your company buying this for you?" Another swipe... he was telling me I couldn't afford one of the cheapest cars on the market. Do these arseholes really think that insulting people is the way to make a sale??? We got back to the dealership. I told him I wanted to drive a Jetta. He gave me a key and told me to be back in ten minutes. Clearly I was not worth wasting any more of his time. if he had not been an arsehole, I would have bought the Jetta. The next nearest VW dealer was about 15 miles away.

About that time Saturn started selling their first cars. Consumer Reports would not recommend them... they would not recommend any new car without a track record after they got burned having recommended the Chrysler K cars. But they said "it looks decent" and there was press coverage about the company, the union relationship, and the fact that 96% of the content of the car was made in the US and most of the remaining 4% was from Mexico. I bought one. It was the same price as the VW Fox. I owned that car for 11 years and loved the heck out of it. I had a few problems, but the dealer fixed them quickly, even after the car was out of warranty.

Saturn's owner satisfaction was around number three of all brands, up there with Lexus and Acura, and head-and-shoulders above every other GM division (Cadillac was way down on the list). The GM mothership was not happy about this and killed Saturn's autonomy and everything about Saturn that had yielded the customer loyalty they could not abide. Instead of learning from their success, they killed it.

But I may have gone 15 miles to the next closest VW dealer if Saturn hadn't materialized.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30029 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:

Never bought another German car and I never will, although I still lust after a Unimog.
Click and Clack named the 1995 Mercedes E320 as the all-around best car ever made. I bought an 8-year-old 1995 E320 Waggin'. I loved driving it. I loved camping in it. It was the most utilitarian car I've ever owned... though a near tie with my 1976 Volvo Wagon... the Volvo is a box, the Mercedes has a corner clipped off the back, so the cargo area isn't full-height for its the full length. But an 80" flat box fit between the backs of the front seats to the tailgate. The seats folded FLAT (or popped out in a few seconds) and there was no lip to pull stuff over to get it in and out. It was rated to carry 1200 pounds (compared to about 600 in the Honda Element). It seated seven. I towed my tent trailer with it. It was great.

But the repair bills were eye-watering, even with an independent mechanic.

I would buy another 8-year-old 1995 Mercedes E320 Waggin' in a heartbeat.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30029 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
My first car - mid-seventies - - was German,. an almost new BMW 2002, their classic car (I saw them on line tonight for well over $10,.000, one with sunroof going for almost $18,.000). I'm sorry to say I abused it while I learned how to use the clutch (those San Francisco hills!)

All I remember is it was always in the shop (at considerable expense). My parents and I were happy to have me bike 5 miles to and from school (and late!),. except that off-campus year witnessed three ghastly murders of young women (quite near me) ,.

That's why they were kind enough to give me their own car,. driven across country. I'm sorry `to say,. I wouldn't have known the difference if they gave me an old VW Beetle instead (only later did I realize what a gem I had),.

At least,. so I've been told,. I'm glad I learned to drive a stick shift first,. but I don't remember much about it except the sky-high repair costs - and I do not think it was all my driving,.

Had a Golf in Israel,. made in Germany I think,. Much less trouble,.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Watts going to happen to the rest of the VW line?

hysteric

Posts: 24642 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post