well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Lustron homes

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lustron homes
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted

quote:
Along with tiny homes, prefab homes have emerged as an ultratrendy option for those looking for an alternative to expensive and oversized housing.

But the prefab concept certainly isn’t new. In fact, steel “Lustron” homes, built between 1948-1950, were supposed to be the housing of the future. While only about 2,500 of these low-maintenance homes were ever built, many still land on the market. And we found seven available right now!

"I think it was a great example of Mid-Century design, but also compact living that was well organized," says Megan Wood in a video for the Ohio Historical Society, which has an actual Lustron home on display for its exhibit "1950s: Building the American Dream." "People were coming into the modern world, and the home eally embodies that."

The homes were the invention of Carl Strandlund, founder of Lustron Corp., and the promise was to quickly assemble affordable homes for returning World War II veterans.

An Ohio factory mass-produced some 3,000 parts per home, including the bathtub, built-in cabinets, and vanities. The parts were loaded on to a truck and delivered to the building site, where they took mere weeks to construct.

Each home consisted of 12 tons of porcelain-coated stainless steel—inside and out—that can be cleaned with a power hose, doesn't require paint, and that would defy “weather, wear and time,” as the company claimed.

While the homes did live up to their promise, the business didn't pan out. The company declared bankruptcy in 1950.

Many of the homes that were built still stand. Aside from the standard small size of the two-bedroom and one bath, the prices for these vintage Lustrons are generally still low. They make a viable option as a cool starter home, an easy-to-maintain rental, and a great topic of conversation.

https://www.realtor.com/news/t...on-homes-for-sale-2/

There's one for sale in my town; I drive by it every day. Check out the steel walls and ceilings.

https://www.realtor.com/reales...M78294-30809?view=qv

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37661 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I’ve seen these before. Very cool - an idea that should have caught on but never really did. People who own them are quite obsessed with them.

They’re built like gas stations. Even the interior doors and cabinets are metal. Low maintenance was never like this...

Just don’t try to remodel one. Eeker

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34805 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Wow, I’ve never heard of those. I wonder what it’s like to live in a metal house... wouldn’t they be noisy?

So I wonder why the company went bankrupt.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18292 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Story from our local PBS station, including background on the manufacturer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0YOpBH14DM

One of the homeowners that was interviewed said it is noisy and drafty.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37661 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Wi-Fi may be tolerable due to their small sizes, but I imagine cell signal would suck in those steel houses.

Would the entire house be electrically well grounded? Would it need lightning rod or just let lightning flow through the whole house when one hits?

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12675 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
I remember one of those in Steubenville, Ohio from when I was a boy. The last time I was by the location, it was still there.

The enameled steel walls could be a good idea as long as you didn't want to change the color of the house. I once worked in an office building that used them on portions of the exterior. They were pretty much indestructible unless you hit them with something like a rock thrown by a lawnmower (compare them to enameled cookware or washing machine tubs). The particular ones I knew had a mottled gray enamel that looked very much like stone unless you saw them very closely.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7366 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Maybe this could be the salvation of Sears - go back to the house kit. There are a crapton of Sears houses in Cincinnati and they have held up really well.

I love the idea of prefabs and kits. We will be moving to a one floor house eventually and I REALLY REALLY want a midcentury modern - simple, not terribly big, but lots of glass and openness, especially to the outdoors. I have yet to find anyone who will build one reasonably. I'll be damned if I sign up for another mortgage.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13512 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Frequenter
Picture of DeweyCMH
posted Hide Post
There was a yellow one in my home town. At some point, the owner "improved" it by cladding it in vinyl siding. Oy. The Lustron plant was in the former Curtis-Wright factory located on the grounds of what is now John Glenn Port Columbus Airport. I actually did some small architectural work in the building back in the day.

Posts: 372 | Registered: 11 March 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
Wow, I’ve never heard of those. I wonder what it’s like to live in a metal house... wouldn’t they be noisy?

So I wonder why the company went bankrupt.

I had the same thought. I remember being stuck under a metal patio roof during a hail storm, and it was deafening.

Posts: 35362 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nanna
posted Hide Post
Hubby and I lived in one in the early 70’s on the base at Quantico when we were first married. I don’t remember it being noisy at all. It was actually very solid. We were thrilled! You had to drill a hole to hang a picture, though!

Posts: 78 | Location: The Colonial Capital | Registered: 11 October 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Cool beans! We actually have someone who lived in one!

The people who complained about noise were talking about the metal cabinet, closet, and pocket doors. They are kinda rattle-y.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
The one that was for sale in my town is history. Bummer.

https://www.dailyherald.com/ne...-meets-wrecking-ball

Bazootiehead-in-training

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Frowner Too bad, but couldn't be helped I guess.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18292 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I wonder how well they're insulated. I saw that one in New Orleans and thought, "Wow. That could be an awful lot like an oven."

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15497 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
You could make a very good case for this type of construction in hurricane and earthquake areas.

They’re basically built like four door sedans. Put ‘em up on platforms to get above the flood waters.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34805 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post