well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Maryland back in business!

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Maryland back in business!
 Login/Join

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted
Outdoor tennis courts are available starting today. My outdoor boot camp starts on Monday.

Gatherings of more than ten people are still banned. Which raises the question of whether 20 people working out 2 parking spaces apart is a “gathering.” The stay at home order gives examples of a gathering as a wedding or fundraiser.

Well, no matter. I will be there, ready to go, however the instructor arranges it.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Iowa, Maryland, Florida,Georgia...

I think it's a big mistake myself.

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Tennis? Golf? I’m feeling like the risk is more than acceptable.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Ok, but the risk is to the society as well as the individual. I think it's a big mistake in terms of public health.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Tennis and golf are very low risk, especially tennis.

Other things maybe not so much.

--------------------------------
"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13557 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
As an aside, I miss tennis so much. I don't have the opportunity to play, hit, or even hit against a concrete wall.

Ok, there's my whine for the day.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure our golf course has been open this entire time. One person to a cart.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20460 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Watching the developments the last few weeks has been interesting.

There are people demanding that everything open right now. Public polling doesn't support this.

But I also think that the opposition is taking the wrong point of view also. In other words, we cannot stay locked down forever. The country has been locked down to one extent or another for at least six weeks.

By continuing to insist that nothing open because it is too risky, there is a strong chance of a backlash. I keep an eye on CNN, and it seems to me that there was tremendous interest in reporting as deaths and hospitalizations increased, but there has been little interest in report that deaths/hospitalizations are decreasing.

This bias is among the reasons that some people (myself included) are losing some trust in what they are being told. There seems to be a feeling that this situations is black and white when it is not. Some parts of the country are at more risk than others. I can see why someone in Idaho might think it is dumb that they can't play pick-up basketball or get a knee replacement after all this time.

I sure hope that one party doesn't get trapped into being the party of "Stay home wearing your mask with no job forever!" while the other party gets to be the "You can trust us to help get the country back on track."

'Cause the latter is the winning message.

Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
I sure hope that one party doesn't get trapped into being the party of "Stay home wearing your mask with no job forever!" while the other party gets to be the "You can trust us to help get the country back on track."

I think the path of the virus as different states pursue different reopening strategies will determine which message is the right one. That will take a little longer to see.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7411 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Our golf courses have stayed open, and my golf buddies golf weekly. I haven’t done it, though; I’m a newbie golfer and don’t care that much.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
The virus will call the shots.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37932 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Most states that aren't crazy seem to be establishing a gradual opening. Maryland's approach appears to be an example.

Here in OR, the governor has established a series of things that must be in place before a county can consider opening things, but it is county by county. The sparsely populated areas on the eastern side of the state are more likely to open than Multnomah/Clackamas counties or Marian County (Portland and Eugene, respectively). I know that Inslee and our governor are also working in a coordinated way, so it's likely that opening in Vancouver, WA (just across the river) is likely to follow Multnomah.

My guestion: if the openings are premature and we see a spike, how many governors are willing to reinstate quarantines and business shutdowns?

Ultimately, it will remain up to the individual to determine if they will go to restaurants, etc. I'm annoyed that there is a possibility that individual selfish acts may result in me needing to stay at home longer, but it's something I'm prepared to do.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Yup. We've definitely entered a period of everyone deciding what risks they are willing to accept. Those who are worried will stay home, those who are not worried won't.

As for me, I am going to end or suspend my gym membership until December at least, maybe longer. My gym was a foul filth bucket before Covid, and the only reason I remain is because we have a cheap family membership, and I only take classes there in bad weather. If I were a more frequent gym user, I would go someplace with better hygiene.

It is true that opening things up risks there will be spikes, but . . . how else will I know whether it is safe to go to the gym other than watch other people go for a few months and see if they get sick?

As for restaurants . . . I didn't frequent restaurants much before Covid, so there's no need to start now.

And no way do I feel like sitting through a movie. I have had enough screen time lately to last a lifetime.

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by big al:
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:

I think the path of the virus as different states pursue different reopening strategies will determine which message is the right one. That will take a little longer to see.

Big Al

That's true.

I don't believe there will be another significant spike. I just don't, for a variety of reasons.

When this first hit, we were doing *nothing* to prevent transmission. We had people crowded on trains, planes, buses, elevators, concerts. Shaking hands, air kissing. No one wearing a mask unless they were scrubbing in for surgery.

How we have people wearing masks, washing hands, social distancing. Those things aren't perfect, but they are a massive change from before.

I think the projections are, once again, overly pessimistic. Remember, the experts have continually revised downward their estimates of how lethal the disease is and the number who would die from it. We have learned *a lot* of people have already had the virus.

I think we'll be fine.