well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Anti-Vaxxers Are Such Charming People

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anti-Vaxxers Are Such Charming People
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I doubt it. I'll defer to you on this.

Posts: 24655 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
That story demonstrates once again how the anonymity of the internet brings out the worst in some people.

Guess we need to hang on to the good ones and ignore the rest. Patience and compassion, FTW!

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
What's the difference between these people and the charming folks at the Westboro Baptist Church? Not much, really.

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
They hurt people from the comfort and safety of their homes.

Other than that, as you say, not much.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
But they're doing it on principle, to save lives. Because they know. So what if it causes harm? Collateral damage. It's infuriating to know that they are being played by larger influences even while they rail against being played by larger influences. Proud examples of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
They are worse than I thought.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Nina, I'm still confused about this. Isn't it [still, today] the top down responsibility of the e.g. state, polity, etc.? We talk here a lot about the flu shot. But it's still optional. The vaccinations re: your local news? They should never have been de facto optional. I must be getting old. I know laws have been changed, public policy has changed, etc. But, this makes no kind of sense to me. Confused

Posts: 24655 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Frowner

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34852 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Just considering what would happen if there were another genuine plague, contagious human to human.

Would a vaccine against that, once available, also be left in the US to local authorities at whatever level?
I'll bet if the US kept up present permissions, we'd find other countries (as usual, expectably more enightened in policies) banning travel to and from here.

(Ha! There would go all the immigration wannabes - and without a wall. All it would take is a despot in the "shithole countries" mandating vaccines, to make them more desirable!)

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
Nina, I'm still confused about this. Isn't it [still, today] the top down responsibility of the e.g. state, polity, etc.? We talk here a lot about the flu shot. But it's still optional. The vaccinations re: your local news? They should never have been de facto optional. I must be getting old. I know laws have been changed, public policy has changed, etc. But, this makes no kind of sense to me. Confused

Regulations regarding most childhood vaccines, as far as I know, are de facto managed by the school districts, who can decide which vaccines they require kids to have before attending, and whether they will allow religions or other exemptions. School districts are as local as they get, so for most of the childhood vaccines, the district/local rule is what prevails. Adult vaccines are, indeed, optional--things like flu, shingles, etc. I know of nowhere that people are advocating mandatory vaccines for adults. Even in the case of (now) adults who weren't vaccinated as children, there are no mandatory vaccine regulations. Some work sites (like hospitals, day care, zoos, etc.) can and do require up-to-date vaccines, but that's a working condition and not a piece of legislation.

Or maybe I don't understand your questions.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:

Regulations regarding most childhood vaccines, as far as I know, are de facto managed by the school districts, who can decide which vaccines they require kids to have before attending, and whether they will allow religions or other exemptions. School districts are as local as they get, so for most of the childhood vaccines, the district/local rule is what prevails. Adult vaccines are, indeed, optional--things like flu, shingles, etc. I know of nowhere that people are advocating mandatory vaccines for adults. Even in the case of (now) adults who weren't vaccinated as children, there are no mandatory vaccine regulations. Some work sites (like hospitals, day care, zoos, etc.) can and do require up-to-date vaccines, but that's a working condition and not a piece of legislation.

Or maybe I don't understand your questions.

All 50 states have laws mandating childhood vaccination as a condition of attending public school. However, all states have a medical exception, and 47 have a religious exception. And 17 (iirc) have a philosophical exception.

https://vaccines.procon.org/vi...hp?resourceID=003597

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
The process of granting exceptions follows a certain logic. One narrow set of exceptions can be explained away as sensible and imposing little cost. But the first exception makes the next one easier to obtain. One we're in the "philosophical" territory the potential costs to those who cannot be vaccinated grows large. At what point do affected families have a case for demanding that the state (or locality) should pay the costs of a comparable education outside of the public school because the state has made choices that raise the health risks of attending a public school beyond a reasonable threshold?

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
My sister in law is about 55 and works for a large medical health provider. She works from home exclusively, as a medical coder. She has no role in patient care or contact with patients or other employees.

She is fighting her employer because they want to force her to take a flu shot.

So this nonsense goes both ways.

Posts: 19757 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
My sister in law is about 55 and works for a large medical health provider. She works from home exclusively, as a medical coder. She has no role in patient care or contact with patients or other employees.

She is fighting her employer because they want to force her to take a flu shot.

So this nonsense goes both ways.

That doesn't sound like nonsense, it sounds like a rational business decision. Maybe they want to have a consistent policy and they don't want to argue about it with every employee who thinks the policy shouldn't apply to them. Maybe they don't want to lose days of work and have to pay sick leave. Or maybe, as a healthcare company, they just have the public interest in preventing illness and epidemics at heart.

You should explain to the company how it's a personal choice, even though it affects everyone else, I'm sure you can persuade them.