well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Spanish Oxtail Stew

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spanish Oxtail Stew
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted
Never fixed oxtails before. It's a rainy, slightly cold day so a good day to cook a slow braise. Supposed to be delicious. This looked like a very good recipe and I had everything I needed. Subbed red, orange and yellow peppers for the green.

https://www.allrecipes.com/rec...h-style-oxtail-stew/

--------------------------------
"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
When I saw the thread title, I kept thinking it's the oxen that are Spanish, as opposed to the recipe.... Big Grin

Oxtail stew was one of my late MIL's favorite foods. I like it, too; has a very rich flavor. Stews are underappreciated.

Would be interesting to compare how that recipe tastes using the green pepper vs the red/orange/yellow combo. We occasionally buy the stuffed peppers at Costco. They use orange, red, and yellow peppers. I grew up eating the original version with green peppers. I love the sweeter peppers but occasionally I'll make stuffed peppers at home with green peppers just for a change of pace.

Both good, just different.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37871 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Yep. I'm stewing up Ferdinand!

(Ferdinand the Bull was probably my favorite story as a kid. It would explain my lifelong relationship with corks.)

No, this is an oxtail from my favorite local farm. The kitchen smells heavenly, but I doubled the garlic. Luckily I also have Ghiradelli unsweetened chocolate.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I love oxtail stew and oxtail adobo! Such rich flavor. How did yours turn out? ¡Toro, toro, toro!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9798 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
It was very good, although the tail was not as meaty as I would have hoped. Maybe because it was grass fed?

I added potatoes with the carrots to 'beef' it up a little. The flavor was great. I used smoked paprika which boosted it a bit more.

Got to use my new OXO gravy separator too, which worked beautifully. Best one I've ever had.