well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What fresh hell is this?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What fresh hell is this?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
I’ve seen plenty of snow and I’ve driven in it many times. This stuff is different.

It’s little balls if ice a bit smaller than peas. It bounces when it lands in the hood of the truck. It doesn’t stick - instead it blows around with the wind. Corn snow?

There isn’t much of it on the ground, but it’s slippery as hell. First I did a half face plant in the Home Depot parking lot and then I did an elegant 4 wheel drift turning on to my street. The ABS kicked in - the first time I’ve ever had that happen. I had to use 4wd to back in to my driveway.

I can’t wait to try “sleet” and “ice storm”. Eeker

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Graupel. Didn't know it was also called corn snow.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graupel

Yea, black ice or ice is a treat. My driveway last weekend:

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Qaanaaq-Liaaq
posted Hide Post
The Chicago area got freezing rain last Saturday January 8th. It was very slippery for walking and driving. And yeah, taking a fall can be the worst part.

Don’t know whether the Ohio coast got freezing rain or hail or sleet. City salt trucks hit the road here when they anticipated the freezing rain.

Posts: 1410 | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Yeah, this is one of the bad parts of climate change -- it's not quite cold enough, so we get this other junk that's way worse than snow.

We may or may not be in for an ice storm down here, Saturday night into Sunday.

We don't have to be anywhere and so will stay home all weekend, but I am worried about power outages. The last time there was a bad ice storm (the winter before we moved here) apparently some places didn't get their power back for almost a week.

Fingers crossed that doesn't happen this time!!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18329 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
My Son in law Jeff, who has lived here all his life, just texted me to say the little snow pellets are no big deal.

It’s the black ice underneath. Eeker

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
What is freezing rain like? And what is sleet?

Gadfly
Picture of Big John
posted Hide Post
Sleet is hard. like granules. white. it usually bounces when it hits the ground. Like powdery hail. But sleet hits the ground white and accumulates white.

freezing rain is clear. like little granules of ice. it is rain that freezes on the way down or right before it hits the ground. It often freezes on contact, creating sheet or black ice. Great fun. It accumulates as water on the ground like rain or freezes immediately.

Sleet will bounce off brances, power lines and shrubs like snow.

Freezing rain will stick to all of the above causing power lines to snap, branches and shrubs to bend and often break.

Another day in Paradise.

Posts: 3902 | Registered: 14 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Handy guide to precipitation

Snow, sleet, freezing rain, rain

quote:
While all forms of precipitation start as snow high up in the clouds, there are four primary types that eventually reach the ground: snow, sleet, freezing rain and plain ol' rain.

Snow occurs when the atmosphere is "cold" all the way from the clouds to down here at the surface.

Sleet and freezing rain form because of a "warm-air sandwich" in the atmosphere above our heads. Precipitation starts as snow in the cold layer at the top, then melts to rain as it falls through the warm layer, then refreezes into sleet or freezing rain as it falls through the cold layer near the surface.

For sleet to occur, the warm air layer is rather thin. A thicker wedge of cold air beneath the warm air refreezes the partially melted snow into ice pellets.

For freezing rain to occur, the warm air layer is thicker. The snow melts into rain then refreezes just as it hits the cold ground.

Since the rain is not freezing until it reaches the surface, it still falls like regular rain and therefore looks and feels the same until it freezes on the ground.

Sleet is made up of ice pellets that bounce off objects. Even though this may sound more hazardous than freezing rain, that's not the case.

"Freezing rain is by far the most dangerous because it forms a solid sheet of ice, as opposed to sleet that just has small ice pellets that quickly bounce off of the surface," AccuWeather meteorologist Brett Anderson said. "Actually, sleet can even provide a little bit of traction for drivers, as opposed to the obvious dangers of a solid sheet of ice that forms from freezing rain."

Finally, when the air is warm enough all the way down to the surface, it's just plain rain that reaches down here.

Ice pellets and graupel:

quote:
Ice pellets are a form of precipitation consisting of small, translucent balls of ice. Ice pellets are different from graupel ("soft hail") which is made of frosty white rime, and from a mixture of rain and snow which is a slushy liquid or semisolid. Ice pellets often bounce when they hit the ground or other solid objects, and make a higher-pitched "tap" when striking objects like jackets, windshields, and dried leaves, compared to the dull splat of liquid raindrops. Pellets generally do not freeze into a solid mass unless mixed with freezing rain.

Hail. More of a summer thing.

quote:
Hail is a form of solid precipitation.[1] It is distinct from ice pellets (American English "sleet"), though the two are often confused.[2] It consists of balls or irregular lumps of ice, each of which is called a hailstone. Ice pellets generally fall in cold weather, while hail growth is greatly inhibited during cold surface temperatures.[3]

Unlike other forms of water ice precipitation, such as graupel (which is made of rime ice), ice pellets (which are smaller and translucent), and snow (which consists of tiny, delicately-crystalline flakes or needles), hailstones usually measure between 5 mm (0.2 in) and 15 cm (6 in) in diameter.[1]

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
And you haven't lived until you've seen hoarfrost. It's the most beautiful thing in the world.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
Freezing rain resulted in the most memorable storm in my lifetime. I was lucky to be in Toronto, where it was mostly snow. Many of my friends were trapped in Montreal, evacuated from their homes into shelters.

https://www.theweathernetwork....8-the-1998-ice-storm

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4082 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
We have gotten a little bit of everything up here, but fortunately in small doses. When I first moved up here we had a hail storm (maybe graupel, who knows) that was super localized and very intense, within a matter of a few minutes the entire street was coated in little hail stones. Slippery as all to drive on, but only for a tiny amount of the road, maybe a quarter mile at most. Weird.

We get freezing rain (the ever popular "wintry mix"), which sounds different than regular rain when it hits your windows, more like a "poosh," where as rain is just different. And snow is silent. The freezing rain is particularly creepy because we have so many trees. Until it melts, the regular sounds are punctuated by random cracks where branches or sometimes trees are coming down. Yikes!

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
And you haven't lived until you've seen hoarfrost. It's the most beautiful thing in the world.

Hoarfrost is beautiful; I’ve only seen it once, on the way home from Sisters, coming over the pass. On evergreens.

We don’t get much snow, but freezing rain can be a thing here. It’s terrible, but really pretty when everything is coated in ice.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9789 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I don’t think I’ve yet taken the opportunity to say welcome to the Midwest, Steve.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13779 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
I don’t think I’ve yet taken the opportunity to say welcome to the Midwest, Steve.

ROTFLMAO

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21305 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
So, recently, it was debunked that the Eskimos have 20 different words for snow (maybe more broadly, freezing precipitation).

Now, the truth comes out... it wasn't Eskimos, it is Midwesterners.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30030 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post