well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What fresh hell is this?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What fresh hell is this?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
Steve, is it a temporary arrangement that your truck needs to be parked in the driveway? Or does it not fit into your garage? I can't imagine having to de-snow/ice that if I needed to go somewhere. Just having to shovel the driveway is bad enough!

The truck won't fit in the garage - it's too tall.

The upside is that I really don't need to plow in front of it. With 4wd engaged I can pretty much mush down whatever is there.

quote:
Also around here, you have to clear the snow off your car. It's illegal to drive around with a snowpack on it, because it will eventually fly off and whack another driver's car while you're whipping down the freeway or whatever.

That's the rule here, too. I have a combination brush/scraper in each car that works pretty well. I like the idea of a soft push broom and have added one to my list.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34969 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
Our garage is too full of carp to park in so we have become experts in clearing snow off cars. A couple years ago, I got a set of 3 of these on Amazon as a lightning deal. They are surprisingly effective, to the point where I wondered where they had been all my life. I have since given several as gifts and everyone I have given them to also says they love them.

https://www.snobrumusa.com/?mi...1d33b4b858646df5cd01

I guess a pushbroom would do just as well, but this telescopes down to fit in your car and it's easier to clean off the snow from when you're done.....put a wet snowpacked pushbroom in your car and you'll have a large puddle in no time. And there's no hard wood at the head so no danger of cracking/scratching something you didn't mean to.

Posts: 4404 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Snow flying off cars is not good, but once they have turned to ice underneath it's damn dangerous. We were driving through Dayton and saw a huge sheet fly off a roof and smash a windshield behind it to bits at 65 mph.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13556 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
What has been your reaction to your new house?

The house is nice enough - it seems to be well built. I do miss the big windows in the old house, the big garage and the year-around herb garden. The basement partially makes up for the garage but it's not real convenient.

I'll try growing some herbs this summer and may see if I can get some to grow indoors, at least for a while. I can buy fresh herbs here but they're not cheap.

I've been watching YouTube videos on shop organization and have some ideas to make the garage more useful. It has a 12 ft. ceiling so shelves up high are on the list, along with a platform or two suspended from pulleys for things like the snow blower. The big heater works well and will work even better when I insulate the ceiling and the garage door next week.

I really do need to get the car in there - it's developed an engine knock when I start it at temps below about 20. I'd rather not replace it if I don't have to.

We just got these new lighthouse posters for the dining area and I think they are really cool. Forgive the glare - we've ordered different glass for them. We also found a local photographer who sells pictures of the "Guardians of Traffic" and got 4 black and white prints for the entry.

quote:
New city?

I like the city a lot. We're right on the dividing line between suburburbia and farmland. There is a fine new shopping center (Costco, Home Depot, Walmart, Kohls, etc.) about 5 miles north of here - very convenient.

Traffic is light and politics are small town. Hizzoner the Mayor picks up the phone and our local councilwoman is a regular on the city Facebook page. She takes a lot of grief there but she gets things done. They're very prompt with the plows whenever it snows even a little bit.

My only complaint has to do with the roads. There are four main north/south arteries and each is only two lanes wide with a deep ditch on either side. Sometimes they have lines along the edges but not always. Streetlights are rare - maybe one at the occasional intersection. The lines don't have reflectors - just paint.

I'm finding it very difficult to drive at night, especially when the roads are wet. I'm better in the truck because it sits up higher and has better lights, but driving the car at night is terrifying. I'm sure my age has something to do with it.

quote:
New climate?

So far the cold hasn't bothered me. The snow is a hassle but that's about it. Being able to pick and choose when I go out has a lot to do with that, as does my fine new parka.

And the tomatoes are fantastic! ThumbsUp

Posts: 34969 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:

Slick!

I bought one.

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
An electric leaf blower will clear snow off a car, sidewalks, etc. as long as it’s cold enough and hasn’t packed down.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Steve, indoor herbs should do fine but only if they get a lot of light. Six hours is recommended. We have a room that gets five and our Rosemary (brought in from outdoors) is doing OK.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Steve, I’m super impressed that your lighthouse posters are all level, and in line with each other. That would be beyond my ability to make things match up!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Great! I’ll get some as soon as it’s available. ThumbsUp

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Back from my walk. 11 degrees, -3 wind chill.

I survived! (jodi of the Arctic is probably laughing at me....)

Face mask is for warmth....works like a charm....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37929 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:

I've been watching YouTube videos on shop organization and have some ideas to make the garage more useful. It has a 12 ft. ceiling so shelves up high are on the list, along with a platform or two suspended from pulleys for things like the snow blower. The big heater works well and will work even better when I insulate the ceiling and the garage door next week.

Can you get one of those plug in things for your cars engine when it’s cold? (My car has one built in that I can plug in if it gets way below zero) I *wish* we had a basement. Just sharing some pictures of what our garage (and all our garages before this Big Grin ) currently looks like. Last year Steve’s car fit where the boat is now, but he insisted we get a smaller storage unit, and we’ve currently got a bunch of our daughter’s stuff in there so the boat doesn’t fit. The garage has super tall ceilings and lots of shelving, but this space is always a struggle to keep organized, especially when it’s cold and I don’t want to be out there organizing things! We got one of those hang from the ceiling racks - that fits above the garage door (when it’s open) - it holds all the lightweight camping stuff - sleeping bags, sleeping pads, etc. We have two things to hang bikes from the ceiling. I don’t miss a lot about our place in Maine, but I sure do miss our outbuildings!

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20460 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
And WTG - Big Grin. It’s currently 2 degrees here, and I’m just glad its sunny and above zero!

Smiler Jodi

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
It's here! happydance

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
this space is always a struggle to keep organized, especially when it’s cold and I don’t want to be out there organizing things!

This beast has been a real asset. Home Depot.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I really want a ceiling heater like that, but have not been able to get an electrician to call me back to install it. It’s almost impossible to find anybody to do small jobs here at the moment. So I just bought another plug in floor heater (so now we have two).

Smiler Jodi