well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What fresh hell is this?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What fresh hell is this?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
So how are y'all doing?

And howz the ice situation?

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Crazy weather.

Today was 42 and sunny, the ice melted and the snow got mushy. The roads dried off and I was able to run errands without incident. A lot of the snow melted and I cleared off Sharon’s car.

PJs suggestion of using a regular flat shovel is a definite winner and I shoveled the porch and walk. Maybe those big shovels are for younger guys. Or shorter ones.

I’m glad I got it out of the way because the low tonight is something like 16 and the low Saturday is supposed to be “1”. Eeker Who knew that was a thing?

I expect everything to be frozen solid for a while. I did lift the windshield wipers.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Wipers up? Maybe not.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Whatever you cover your windshield with will freeze to the car.
I park facing the sunrise or close to the garage door under the balcony which reduces the
amount of snow that gets to the windshield.
I carry a spray bottle of defroster fluid.
The truck has never been in the garage. It is not worth the squeeze when there is another vehicle in there.
With a remote start you must remember to turn the heater buttons on the evening before.
The other option places my windshield in Tucson. That reduces one problem, but there are tradeoffs.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25711 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
The other option places my windshield in Tucson. That reduces one problem, but there are tradeoffs.

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
​Not sure about blanket or cardboard; if they get wet they could really freeze on the glass. Part of the problem ​is that after you drive for a while, the windshield gets warm because you have the heat on in the car. After you park, and the snow falls on the windshield, it melts a little and then as more snow falls and the temps are cold, the water on the windshield freezes.

Mr wtg would pick the blades up on his car parked in the lot at work whenever it was going to snow. In almost 40 years, he never had a problem with blades catching the wind. The guy quoted in the article is a mechanic so he sees a lot more cars, so I'm sure it happens.

We've tried a couple brands of the winter blades and didn't like them at all. Mr wtg did the bulk of longer distance commuting during our working days and said he didn't think they cleaned as well (he's manic about any small streaks that get left behind) and also said the blade would tend to lift up off the windshield and rattle at high speeds.

The tires are important. We don't put a lot of miles on our cars so our tires need to be replaced more because of the years we put on them rather than the miles. We had some tires that were 7 or 8 years old, and I think they got old and dry and that affected their grip. We put new tires on and noticed a huge improvement on wet and/or snowy pavement.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Wipers up? Maybe not.

Yeah, my dad that always worked on our cars was a stickler for preserving spring strength and taking care of keeping the windows clear!

No mamby-pamby scraping allowed; every window was clear before being allowed to drive!

The bar-type wiper blades do better in snow and ice - they don't freeze up as easily in my experience.

I have seen custom tarps that secure by closing the doors on them. They should be easier to remove and shake off?

(spoiled now with heated indoor parking in the city now!)

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I saw a trick where you put a plastic bag over your mirrors. Clever!

Meanwhile, I bought a snow blower. Guess we’re staying.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Heated outside mirrors FTW.

Which snow blower did you go with?

Bazootiehead-in-training

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's a classic preventative measure... You shouldn't get much snow the rest of the season now!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Heated outside mirrors FTW.

Which snow blower did you go with?

Airens S18

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:
quote:

That's a classic preventative measure... You shouldn't get much snow the rest of the season now!

Big Grin

When I was a kid my neighbor used to joke that we should never water our yard while she was using the clothesline. That combination was sure to bring a hurricane!

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

So Steve...It's been a few months since you moved in.
I'm sure that dealing with the breakthrough COVID cases certainly hasn't been any fun, but otherwise.....

What has been your reaction to your new house? New city? New climate?

Bazootiehead-in-training