well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What fresh hell is this?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What fresh hell is this?
 Login/Join

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
WTG, so true about the sun. Many times we don’t need to shovel at all, but the place across the street is usually in shadow so they always have to.

--------------------------------
“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I think I’m going to get a snow blower. Maybe a small-ish battery one like Jeff uses.

This shoveling stuff is not working for me.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
My neighbor has one of the single stage EGO snow throwers (Lowes and Ace sell them, used to be only at HD) and he loves it.

Which one does Jeff have? Asking for a friend with a not-so-old smallish single stage Toro gas snow thrower but who is tired of dealing with small engine maintenance....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
I feel pretty good today. Thanks, everyone!

Glad to hear this! How is the rest of the family doing?

quote:
Time to address the outdoor situation. My driveway, while plowed, is now a solid sheet of ice. I need to get salt or something. What should I look for?

Salt is of limited use in this situation. I prefer to use tube sand, usually available at the hardware store. Also get a utility sled. Dump the tube sand in the sled, mix in some hot water, then toss across the driveway with the grain shovel. The damp sand will stick/freeze to the ice, making for near-instant traction.

Salt is better for walkways and just outside your entry door, but it only works above a certain temperature (I forget what that temp is, but just don't expect it to do much in a deep freeze) and has to be reapplied a lot.

quote:
Streets are plowed but icy. I see traffic on the road in the distance but not very much. This area is very flat, no hills. Am I crazy to think I can drive up to the Auto Parts store and get some salt? Should I wait until tomorrow afternoon when it’s supposed to be 40 degrees?

Yes and yes. Unless you have studded snow tires on your vehicle.

quote:
Should I get some Yak Tracks or something for walking in ice?

Absolutely. Get these immediately. Don't get the cheap ones that have wire loops around a rubber web. Get the ones that have spikes on chains and a velcro strap that secures them over your instep. The cheap ones are worthless. Again: do this asap. Broken ribs, broken hips, and broken skulls are common occurrence without them.

quote:
I have an aluminum grain shovel that seems to move this light snow fairly well. Should I get a snow shovel anyway?

I have both. I need both.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
My neighbor has one of the single stage EGO snow throwers (Lowes and Ace sell them, used to be only at HD) and he loves it.

Which one does Jeff have? Asking for a friend with a not-so-old smallish single stage Toro gas snow thrower but who is tired of dealing with small engine maintenance....

Jeff has an EGO lawnmower and loves it, but his snowblower is a “Snow Joe”. He says it really struggles with more than about 6” of snow.

Reviews in the EGO line are all over the place but generally OK. I’m kind of in the weeds here - I’ve never used one and I don’t know what I’m looking at.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Sharon feels like she’s getting worse. Congestion and cough are back.

A friend got some relief from prescribed steroids of some sort. It’s been two weeks and if she doesn’t get better soon that may be something to look in to.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Random walk...

Did the reviews compare the single stage EGO snowthrowers to the two stage in terms of effectiveness?

Slushy snow presents challenges for augers; it just mushes up the snow and can't toss it up and out. A paddle style snow thrower can work better for modest amounts of slush.

But for really deep snow, the two stage is better.

I have an EGO lawnmower also. Got it three summers ago and it's performed well. That said, it doesn't quite have the oomph of a gas mower.

I don't know if you have any plans to buy other yard devices like a blower or mower. The EGO comes with two batteries for the snowblower; the mower comes with one. You can share them. I think they make blowers, too, but don't know if the battery is interchangeable with mowers and snowblowers. We have a Kobalt blower that's great, but I bought it a number of years ago before battery mowers really took off. I bought the EGO mower because it had the best reviews and ratings. Now I'd be trying to buy within a single manufacturer so I could share batteries among machines (batteries are expensive).

Even smaller gas snow blowers can struggle with deep snow. You can either try blowing snow as it falls and only do it when the snow is less than 4 or 5 inches deep. That strategy fails miserably when it's snowing heavily all night. Big Grin

You can also just take narrow slivers of deeper snow. Tedious, but it works.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:

A friend got some relief from prescribed steroids of some sort. It’s been two weeks and if she doesn’t get better soon that may be something to look in to.

Bummer. Do you have a pulse oximeter to check oxygen levels?

Bazootiehead-in-training

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I recommend a good quality square-point, aka transfer shovel. Regular garden shovel size. They don’t hold as much as a wide snow shovel, but the wide one can hold so much snow you can’t lift it.

Ames also makes the same one with a D handle.

I have a steel D handle scoop shovel like a grain scoop which is fine for moving large quantities of light snow. But the square-point will bust up ice and make a clean path.

From November to March (vary as needed) I keep a Winter Kit in the car. It’s a plastic storage bin with boots, gloves, hat, blanket, water, granola bars, and a telescoping aluminum shovel that’s good enough to get the car unstuck.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear Sharon is feeling icky. Best wishes to you both.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Worried about Sharon - do you have a pulse oximeter to measure her oxygen levels? I would take her in sooner to be checked on as opposed to later.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20460 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:

From November to March (vary as needed) I keep a Winter Kit in the car. It’s a plastic storage bin with boots, gloves, hat, blanket, water, granola bars, and a telescoping aluminum shovel that’s good enough to get the car unstuck.

Mylar thermal blankets are great....

Bazootiehead-in-training

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
And several pairs of clean wool socks. They can double as mittens

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
The O2 meter I ordered was supposed to arrive on Saturday but it’s still not here. I’ll go get one tomorrow.

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:

Oh no! That is troubling. A visit to the doc or a telehealth visit might be a good idea. Ditto what jodi said about pulse oximeters.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post