well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    gee-mail

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

gee-mail
 Login/Join

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted
Mrs pj has a g-mail account that is her firstname-dot-lastname-at-geemail-dot-com. She also has an account with her benevolent employer that is her firstname-dot-lastname-at-nffmco-dot-com. Other than the two accounts having the same address besides the domain, they are not connected in any way. She has logged on to her geemail account from her work computer.

She sent an e-mail from her NFFMCo computer to someone at the recipient's geemail address. When it got there, it showed up with the avatar for her geemail account (which is cute and inoffensive, but maybe not what she wants for her professional image).

We just tried the same having her send an e-mail from her NFFMCo computer to my geemail address. On my phone, it didn't show a picture. On geemail (web access), it shows up with her geemail picture.

Somehow guugle connected the dots between her work e-mail and her geemail accounts.

She is not happy about this.

Any thoughts?

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Having no constructive thoughts.
It is past time to move into a Hobbit house in the forest without electricity or a postal address far from the crowd.
I managed not to add "madding" to the above.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25704 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any thoughts?

It's the Borg??

Joking aside, does her company have any kind of account with gmail and/or google? Like, do they use google docs?

I have a gmail account, and my uni also has various institutional accounts with google, so there are Google Drive and Google Docs that people access with their uni account. It messes things up for me a lot and toggling back and forth between my uni account and my Google is not always successful and sometimes is super frustrating (like when someone grants me access to a google doc but I can't open it with either of my accounts, that's super fun!)

Anyway, back to Mrs. PJ. One thing she might do is set up an avatar for her work account? Then hopefully it would distinguish??

She might also make it a point never to access her private gmail from her work computer? Although at this point, I don't think it would make a difference since they're already associated?

I do waaay too much personal stuff on my work laptop, but it's so convenient.... Ugh.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18475 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Our benevolent employer (we both work for the New-Fangled Flying Machine Co.) blocks access to guugle docs. We can use webmail and geemail over the web. The company does not use any guugle services (despite me suggesting years ago that we should use the private guugle search tools for our vast trove of internal documents).

She has a picture on her work e-mail (exchange) profile. It’s a different picture from her geemail avatar.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Go into gee-mail and change your picture: https://support.google.com/mai...form%3DDesktop&hl=en

Also consider setting different “themes” for different gee-mail accounts such that you will not mistake one account for another (for people who have work and personal email accounts powered by the same gee company’s email service): https://support.google.com/mail/answer/112508?hl=en

You can get even more extreme by maintaining the discipline to use different browsers to access different email accounts if you have multiple email accounts powered by the same email service (e.g., Microsoft Edge to access work email, FireFox to access personal email).

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12689 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
Mrs pj has a g-mail account that is her firstname-dot-lastname-at-geemail-dot-com. She also has an account with her benevolent employer that is her firstname-dot-lastname-at-nffmco-dot-com. Other than the two accounts having the same address besides the domain, they are not connected in any way. She has logged on to her geemail account from her work computer.

She sent an e-mail from her NFFMCo computer to someone at the recipient's geemail address. When it got there, it showed up with the avatar for her geemail account (which is cute and inoffensive, but maybe not what she wants for her professional image).

We just tried the same having her send an e-mail from her NFFMCo computer to my geemail address. On my phone, it didn't show a picture. On geemail (web access), it shows up with her geemail picture.

Somehow guugle connected the dots between her work e-mail and her geemail accounts.

Any thoughts?
Have had experiences like this so I avoid Google products like the plague.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13556 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
It's Google's world. We just live in it.

Sigh.

Posts: 24720 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:

Any thoughts?

Was it just the avatar attached to her professional geemail account, with her professional geemail address?

I have the same setup as Mrs pj and I've only had issues that were user-driven, as in not realizing that I was in my personal geemail account. Since then I've changed the theme on my personal account so it looks much different than my professional account. I've never had avatars swapped, though. Odd.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
We do not have "professional" or "work-related" geemail accounts.

She has a work account on our work Exchange system and we use Outlook as our work e-mail application. She also has a personal geemail account.

So, work is missus.juggler_at_nffmco_dot_com
Personal is missus.juggler_at_geemail_dot_com

My situation is similar but for two things: My work address includes my middle initial and my geemail is my firstinitial_dot_lastname, to wit:

pian.o.juggler_at_nffmco_dot_com
pjuggler_at_geemail_dot_com

So when she sends an e-mail from her work system -- Outlook through the NFFMCo Exchange server -- to a geemail address, the recipient sees the avatar from her geemail profile (which is a sepiatone picture of her eating a mango).

Her Exchange profile has a picture that is a professional portrait of her in professional work attire with a professional mottled grey background. No mango.

Other than the part before the _at_ being the same and that she has logged onto her geemail account on a web browser on her work computer, there is no connection (that she established) between the two accounts. So how did guugle reach into the machine and make the connection?

I am also looking at the full headers of an e-mail she sent from her work to my geemail account. Nothing in there says "geemail" on her side. It's all NFFMCo.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
Is it possible there was a human error involved?

Jf

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17677 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post