well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    FaceTime bug

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FaceTime bug
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Grant Thompson, a 14-year-old high school student in Tucson, Arizona, just wanted to chat with friends and play some "Fortnite" when he discovered a major bug in Apple's popular FaceTime feature.

On Jan. 19, Thompson called his friend Nathan using FaceTime, but Nathan didn't pick up. So Thompson swiped up and added another friend, a move that instantly connected him with Nathan, whose phone was still ringing.

"We were pretty shocked at first because it was still ringing on his phone," he said in an interview. "After that we tested it for about half an hour to see if it worked every time."

It did. Thompson had discovered a bug that allowed him to force other iPhones to answer a FaceTime call, even if the other person doesn't take any action. Apple has since disabled the "Group FaceTime" feature, and a software update to fix the bug is expected to be released, but not before users expressed widespread shock at the flaw in an Apple device typically known for security.

Thompson brought his discovery to his mother, Michele Thompson, a lawyer. She could hardly believe it herself.

"I was doubtful," she said. "He showed it to me on my iPhone and it worked."

For the next week, Michele Thompson, 43, tried to notify Apple of the flaw through a variety of avenues, many of which were dead ends.

"It was very frustrating getting them to respond," she said. "I get it. I'm sure they get all sorts of kooks that try to report things to them."

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/s...time-bug-why-n963961

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37732 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
If you don't read the article, at least do this:

Go to Settings. Scroll down to FaceTime. Click FaceTime. Turn it off. Remember to do this on your iPad, and anything else that can do FaceTime.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30029 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
facepalm

I forgot the important thing. Thanks, pj.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37732 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Yes. We turned it off on our iPads yesterday. I never use FaceTime anymore - we usually chat with the kids through facebook messenger video Ive got the microphones and video turned off on pretty much every app anyway, and just turn it on when I need it.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20407 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I just texted my mom the instructions PJ listed above, with very little comment. In looking at my text, it totally looks like one of those spam-y things and she's probably not going to believe it was me! suave

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18305 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Apple has turned off Group FaceTime until they fix the bug.

https://www.cnet.com/news/appl...e-call-is-connected/

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by well-tempered gardener:
Apple has turned off Group FaceTime until they fix the bug.

https://www.cnet.com/news/appl...e-call-is-connected/

The article in your original post said that.

Posts: 45722 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Apple has said it will compensate the teenager who first found a security bug in Group FaceTime that allowed users to eavesdrop before a call was picked up.

The bug was initially reported to Apple by 14-year-old Grant Thompson and his mother, but the family struggled getting in contact with the company before the bug was discovered elsewhere and went viral on social media.

The payout will fall under Apple’s bug bounty, which incentivizes security researchers to claim a reward for privately submitting security bugs and vulnerabilities to the company. Apple will also offer an unspecified additional gift to Thompson’s education.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/02...-group-facetime-fix/

Bazootiehead-in-training