well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    A geezer's piano-related question
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A geezer's piano-related question
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I buy cheap glasses from Zenni Optical. $20 a pair. I use separate glasses for computer and distance. I can’t tolerate progressives.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
I use readers - and they help.

As for pianos... I recently bought a Roland HP704. I play it using Pianoteq software which can model the sound of several different pianos - e.g. NY Steinway D, Hamburg Steinway D, Steingraeber 272, etc. I listen through headphones - and there are variations for each of the piano sounds - so one can sound like a concert grand in a classical recording or in other situations based on your preference.

I came to this after a friend who was a big player with Apple sold his Palo Alto home along with his grand piano - and then bought a digital with Pianoteq. I couldn't imagine doing that.

Now I understand. It's wonderful playing on a perfectly in-tune concert grand. It's put a lot of fun back into playing. Highly receommended.

Posts: 9597 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
MA, is it possible your single vision lenses just aren't a good prescription?

I wear progressives for daily use, but then I wear single vision for piano and computer. When I go to the eye doc, I get an idea of the height of the music stand first, and I take music with me...

Although as I write this, I think the non-distance progressives are definitely worth a try. Let us know what you end up doing. Good luck!!

Also, ugh, thinking about you selling your piano is heartbreaking! But, there are tons of great instruments that are smaller, including smaller grands, uprights, and digitals, so if you do end up need to get a new instrument, I'm sure you'll find something good.

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post