well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    A geezer's piano-related question
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A geezer's piano-related question
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted
Since I got bifocals, I have tried and failed to find a solution for reading piano music that I like. I've got piano glasses that are just readers. They're not particularly strong, because my near vision is too bad to go without, but not completely awful. They work, but not very well. I'm constantly looking down at my hands and then having to refocus.

When we were traveling last fall, I took a keyboard with me, and the position of the music stand--lower and nearer my hands--made things much easier. But I hated the aesthetics of playing the keyboard. I like the sound of an acoustic piano and the keyboard felt insubstantial under my hands. It jiggled.

We are probably moving soon, and I may or may not keep the C7. Depending on the space, I may get a smaller grand or I might get an upright. I will, of course, be playing a lot of options if I do this, but here's my question.

Do any of you find that a particular music stand position works better for aging eyes? And are those positions ever variable? If I found an upright with a lower music stand or if I found one where the height was variable, that might help me make the emotionally fraught decision of getting rid of the grand.

--------------------------------
Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I have specific piano glasses (usually they are called computer glasses) - and they have a larger close-up to mid (like 3 feet) distance area and no far distance vision correction - so I can look straight at the music on the stand and then move my eyes down to my hands, and not move my head so much - they are progressives (so not bifocals) and I use them all time - to do my artwork, to look at the computer and to play the piano. So basically I can easily see everything in the in 4 feet and closer range. (Actually they work for more than that - to the point that I sometimes forget I’m wearing them, and then get in the car and wonder why the distance is a little fuzzy - then have to go back home and get my other glasses!) They work really well. I have several pairs. I think having them as progressives is the key - so no split in the lens.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20452 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Those sound perfect. I'll try them.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:

If Quirt has a question let him ask it himself.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I have glasses like the ones jodi describes. I got them at Costco and they refer to them as multifunctional glasses. They are progressives and go from a distance correction of about 6 feet at the top, they have a large mid-range in the computer/piano distance, and there's a reading area at the bottom.

https://www.costco.com/optical.html#computer

At Costco, they are way cheaper than the regular progressive; I got the higher grade lenses and I think they were $90 for the lenses. I think the regular polycarbonates are either $70 or 80.

I don't have much of a distance correction either, so like jodi, I find myself in the car with them on and wondering why things don't look quite right....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37883 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Yes to Costco!! I will never get my glasses anywhere else. Easily 1/3 to 2/3rds the cost of glasses at the optical shops. They are fantastic.

Smiler Jodi

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
And, lol. Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:

If Quirt has a question let him ask it himself.

Smiler Jodi

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I think you’ll like progressives a lot. I know I do.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34929 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I have progressives and they suck for the computer and the piano.

Like Jodi I have piano/computer glasses too.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
For progressives, also take into consideration the height of the lens. Larger lenses can also have a bigger "sweet spot" so the exact position of your head isn't as important.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7554 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
First off, I'm startled to read you may move and possibly part with your piano.

As to glasses, it's possible you may find something off the shelf that suits your needs. I didn't, but discussions with my prescriber ended up with a very good choice when I was a bifocal wearer before my cataract surgery. I needed something that would let me look at large drawings either hung vertically or lying flat. Progressives just wore my neck out shifting to find a comfortable viewing position. Now I'm fine with a very slight reading correction that I only use for fine print, very poor copy, or bad lighting. Most of the time, I don't need anything.

I saw some mention of polycarbonate lenses in this thread. They're fine for a lot of people, but I'm one of a minority that can't tolerate them. I had a pair and they gave weird chromatic distortions of objects that I simply could not tolerate. After trying them for weeks, I replaced them.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7404 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Yes, the height of the lense is important. Now that frame styles are bigger again, those of us who need progressive lenses have a lot easier time of it. My computer glasses are progressive lenses - they just don’t include the far distance in the mix.

Smiler Jodi

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
As far as piano shopping...kluurs just bought a new digital to complement his Steinway B (I think that's the model he has). Hopefully he'll drop in here, but if he doesn't, I would definitely reach out to him to get the benefit of his recent search and purchase.

And if you decide to go Yamaha, be sure to ping Rich G at Cunningham...

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37883 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Not a fan of polycarbonate myself, but mentioned it because it is cheaper and it works for most folks. I always step up to a higher index lens.

I actually love Definity progressives done in Trivex, with a Crizal Alize anti-reflective coating. There is much less swim when you have to look down to go down stairs. Problem is they're so damn expensive. I can buy three or four pairs of Costco frames and lenses for what one pair with Definity lenses would cost me at an optical shop.

I tried the multi-functionals at Costco as a relatively cheap experiment and have been very happy with them for the year I've been wearing them. When I'm inside our relatively small house, I'm not usually looking more than three or four feet away. The larger mid-range area of the multi-functional/computer progressives is perfect for general use for me.

Bazootiehead-in-training

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I have glasses like jodi’s and wtg’s, too. From Costco. They’re fab! My prescription was for just the computer/piano distance, and they offered to put a reading bottom in for me. That makes them perfect for wandering around the house. And yes, going back home to get the right glasses when I leave wearing those! (Or just taking off my glasses, because I’m fine for driving without correction.)

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post