well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Tiles on shower ceiling

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tiles on shower ceiling
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted
Not sure I think too much about this. I recently saw a newly renovated condo with very nicely remodeled bathrooms, with matching tiles on all three walls, the floor, and the ceiling of the shower space. It looks to me the ceiling is covered with the same sort of tiles as the shower walls and floor.

I keep thinking perhaps having such big, heavy pieces of tiles on the ceiling is a bad idea. Heaven forbid if one of those big heavy tiles should fall off and hit someone’s head. Last I had my shower space remodeled, I picked tiny tiles for the ceiling just because of that worry.

So ... how common is it for big heavy tiles to fall off from a shower stall’s ceiling? Does this really happen or do I just worry too much?

--------------------------------
www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12689 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Depends on how good the tile setter is. If there isn't enough adhesive they can fall down. Risk is higher with large format tiles.

We had 4"x4" tiles (certainly not very big nor heavy) on the ceiling of the bath enclosures in our 1960s vintage bathrooms, and not a single one fell down before we finally remodeled the baths around 2008. The mastic from that era had to be pretty dried out so it's not uncommon for them to start falling off. The relatively small size/low weight of the tiles meant they stayed in place anyway.

We used solid surface material for our shower enclosure on the walls and the ceiling when we remodeled. But that's a single piece for each surface, and the ceiling is held up by three walls plus the glue they use.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Why tile the ceiling.
Just looked at the shower ceiling in the $$$$ condo we are in. No tiles. This is in the tropics where tiles are popular.
Not sure I have seen ceiling tiles.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
Why tile the ceiling.
Just looked at the shower ceiling in the $$$$ condo we are in. No tiles. This is in the tropics where tiles are popular.
Not sure I have seen ceiling tiles.

Popular in older houses around here. You hardly see tiled shower ceilings in newer houses.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34929 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Very unlikely to get moisture in the mastic as water does not travel up. If you had a light in the ceiling that might be a different story. I wouldn't tile the ceiling myself, but I like a light in there to shave in the shower.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
We just redid our bathroom and tiled the shower ceiling. Our tiles are 6" square ceramic, so not super heavy, but I guess it would still hurt if one clocked you in the head on its way down. Still, having dealt with mold and mildew on the painted shower ceiling in my last house and in the non-remodeled bathroom in this house and knowing that this shower would probably be more prone to that because it's like it's own enclosed room where the ceiling doesn't connect to the rest of the bathroom ceiling, I figured tiling would be wise. We do have a light - we just tiled around it.

Posts: 4402 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
We finished the ceiling in the shower/tub area for the same reason that Lisa did. We've seen too many peeling paint situations in shower surrounds.

And we have recessed lights, too.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Every time I see this thread title I think "...and pink champagne on ice."

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post