well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The NY income tax thing

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The NY income tax thing
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
There seems to be uproar on Fox, et al, about people who volunteer to come to NY to work in health care having to pay NY state income taxes. I think it started with the Graham organization Shepherd's Samaritan's Purse, but I'm not sure.

The outrage machine seems to be in the mode of "They're volunteering to help. How can they be asked to pay income taxes???? It's outrageous!!!"

My thoughts:

1) Income tax rules are set by law. As far as I know, you typically pay income taxes in the state where the income is earned.

2) There are thousands of people doing essential work. Some live in New York and others live in other states. They've been at these jobs for years and they follow the law as far as income taxes are concerned.

3) The NY legislature is considering, but hasn't passed, any tax breaks to help essential workers.

Not trying to diminish the sacrifices of the volunteers, but they are doing the same work as a lot of others.

Are the outsiders expecting a break when the native New Yorkers don't get one?

I must be missing something obvious, but for the life of me I don't see it.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Also found this article on what health care workers are getting paid to work in New York.

https://www.michiganradio.org/...an-offering-way-less

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Your second post explains a lot. I would hardly call them volunteers. They are participating in everything NYS taxes pay for when they take this opportunity. They don't deserve a tax break. My 2 cents.

Posts: 24710 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Ok, I haven't followed this story closely, but I hope someone else has pointed out that, yes, they're "volunteering" in the sense that they are working in NY voluntarily. But they're getting paid (otherwise, no income tax) so ...

Although I am assuming NY's taxes are a good bit higher than those of other states, so that may be the point of contention?

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18430 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Yeah this is a huge nothingburger.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post